240Z 260Z 280Z 71B 5-Speed Gearbox GOOD

richiep

Club Member
Hi all,

A spending spree on 200SX boxes means it’s time for me to sell my spare gearbox. This is a 71B 5-speed gearbox that was fitted to my car when I bought it in 2003 up until a couple of years ago when I installed an S14a box because I wanted the more modern shift feel and a short shifter. Unlike so many used boxes knocking around, this one is thus a known quantity. No whines, knocks, crunches, jumping out of gear, bad behaviour. I always felt the shift into 5th required a ‘sympathetic’ technique but I think that’s more down to the nature of the box than a problem (comparing it to modern shifts).

As shown, it is fitted with a four-bolt output flange to connect it to the early two-piece propshaft found in 70-71 cars. However, this can be removed to use it with the later slip yoke-equipped props in late-71 onwards cars. A gearstick can be included. I will however be keeping the 3.9 ratio speedo drive gear (I’ll pop a different one in to block the hole).

I’ll clean it up a bit more this week to show off it’s condition better but here’s a couple of photos to be going on with. I’m going to start by asking £450. Yes, you can find cheap boxes for half that, but those more often than not look like hell and are a totally unknown quantity until bolted up and revealed to be junk. I will vouch for this one as I used it for about 800-1000 miles a year 2003-4 and 2008-16.

Collection only from Macclesfield or maybe Derby, unless the buyer wants to sort a palette and all pickup arrangements.

kRcqSLU.jpg

z8zqQim.jpg

richiep

Club Member
Do you know what the gearbox came out off and what year?
As I noted, it was the box that my car came with. It’s not that car’s original box though, as my FairladyZ is an early 71 and would’ve had a 71A box. This is later obviously but has been adapted with the four bolt flange to work on 70-71 cars. Thus, it’s either later 240Z or 260Z in vintage.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
As I noted, it was the box that my car came with. It’s not that car’s original box though, as my FairladyZ is an early 71 and would’ve had a 71A box. This is later obviously but has been adapted with the four bolt flange to work on 70-71 cars. Thus, it’s either later 240Z or 260Z in vintage.

Richard, I don't know when your car had the transmission changed, but Japanese market cars got the FS5C71-B with the flanged output for some time after the switchover from 'A' type 5-speed to 'B' type 5-speed in January 1972. This may well have been to align them with other Japanese market models (such as the C10-series Skylines) which also had flange type outputs in that period.

Harry: As mentioned, this is an FS5C71-B type transmission. That 'C' in the type code is important, as it identifies it as having the Porsche patent 'Servo' type synchros, as opposed to the FS5w71-B which had Borg Warner patent type synchros on 1st to 4th gears, and Servo type on 5th gear. The Porsche type synchros were certainly thought of as the more sporty of the two types.

The 'C' and 'W' codes also give us a useful mnemonic to identify 'Close' and 'Wide' gearing combinations. Obviously the 'Close' is the more sporty of the two types, and rarer.

The usual ratios for an FS5C71-B will be:

1st = 2.906
2nd = 1.902
3rd = 1.308
4th = 1.000
5th = 0.864
Reverse: 3.382

The factory usually paired these ratios with a 3.9:1 differential ratio, which is a really nice combo for a road car.

I think £450 is a very fair price for one of these. Not to be confused with the usually later and more numerous FS5W71-B type, as seen on S130-series models.

richiep

Club Member
Thanks for the details Alan. Very interesting. The box may well have been fitted early in the car’s life then, while it was still in Japan (it’s an early-71 but was first U.K. registered in June 73). The shift hole in the tunnel had been cut larger to accommodate the different position and shape of the 71B gearstick and the car had a later centre console rather than the early one that it would’ve originally had that wouldn’t work with the later stick.

This in fact also sold now to ChrisVega.

Last edited:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Perhaps, but discretion is sometimes the better part of valour ;)
Yes, he has plenty of cars needing work/upgrades etc.

s2k_adz

Club Member
Not sure what you mean by that Chris! I didn't realise it was a secret?

You definitely cant go wrong having spares I dont think!

Last edited: