20 years of Z ownership

richiep

Club Member
It occurred to me (after being asked how long I've owned the red Fairlady Z by people at Japfest last weekend) that in a couple of weeks' time I will have owned that car - and been a Z enthusiast - for 20 years. The car and my knowledge have evolved a lot since then - with that enthusiasm becoming increasingly hands-on as shown with Project Dixie and having morphed into a wider love of the 70s Japanese market scene in particular, with the RA25 Celica having joined the embryonic collection. Anyway, digging into my old forum gallery, here's a pic of my car a few months into ownership on the club stand at Oulton Park Gold Cup 2003, when it was still "disguised" as a Datsun 240Z, before the rebuild that took place 2005-8:

1682597378838.png

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
...when it was still "disguised" as a Datsun 240Z...

Well done you for the gender re-assignment. The car is all the better for it.

Funnily enough, I played around with a little similar - although opposite - cross-dressing on my second Z car. A typical 110 Red UK market HS30-QU 'Datsun 240Z' which I gave a Japanese market HS30-Dx 'Fairlady 240Z-L' look to. It was my daily driver in central London for several years. It even got reversed into by Margaret Thatcher's limo outside the Spectator magazine's office party. Long gone, but fondly remembered (the car, not Mrs T.)HOW-8.jpg:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rich may be a Nooob but I guess he will be an enthusiast for many years to come.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Time flies doesn't it! Just checked and in 3 weeks it'll have been 10 years since I joined the forum 🥶

toopy

Club Member
I bought my car the year my first son was born, hence the 2+2 format, also 1996. I remember driving a relative to the hospital in it after he was born, and they got a wet foot because of a hole in the floorpan, the bit that forms part of the underwing area where it curves up!

SacCyclone

Club Member
My dad bought a 1976 Z brand new to commute back and forth to work, then a 1978 Z, and finally a 1980ZX.....until he retired. He would put about 100,000 miles on the car in 2 years then bought another new one because he loved them so much....I drove them all around town.

I bought my first 71 Z in 1985 for $800...it had been around the block with lots of miles but still drove great.

Robotsan

Club Member
Just 12 years for me, and how fast that’s gone.

My views on Z’s has changed so much over the years too, reading through my older posts often makes me cringe 😀

Out of interest, what were your views on them back then? The mind boggles! Apologies if it's painful for you to think about 😂