What did you do to your Z this week?

toopy

Club Member
Car has been at Fourways since before Xmas and I'm picking it up tomorrow morning, will be my first drive with the new electric power steering fitted:driving:
Also very much looking forward to hearing the new exhaust too!
Well.... unsurprisingly driving the car with power steering is AMAZING! drove most of the way home, about 15 miles, using only one hand, roundabouts and slow turns were a joy, money absolutely well spent. I can now enjoy the drive and concentrate properly on other things, like not crunching 2nd gear!
Exhaust also a blast, drones a bit around 2000 rpm but not excessive, rest of the range is great. Seem to of lost the obvious raspy top note at high revs which i quite liked, but can live with that as it sounds meatier pretty much everywhere else, which i definitely likey :thumbs:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well.... unsurprisingly driving the car with power steering is AMAZING! drove most of the way home, about 15 miles, using only one hand, roundabouts and slow turns were a joy, money absolutely well spent. I can now enjoy the drive and concentrate properly on other things, like not crunching 2nd gear!
Exhaust also a blast, drones a bit around 2000 rpm but not excessive, rest of the range is great. Seem to of lost the obvious raspy top note at high revs which i quite liked, but can live with that as it sounds meatier pretty much everywhere else, which i definitely likey :thumbs:
What were you doing with the other hand?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Do you still get the steering feedback that we love so much with these cars? I can fully appreciate the need for pas with big wheels. I doubt these cars could have ever been sold with the size of wheels fitted to them these days. If the pa failed could you still steer it?

toopy

Club Member
Do you still get the steering feedback that we love so much with these cars? I can fully appreciate the need for pas with big wheels. I doubt these cars could have ever been sold with the size of wheels fitted to them these days. If the pa failed could you still steer it?
Yes you do, but if it's turned up to the max it's too much and felt a bit 'floaty' if that makes sense. I adjusted it down so that it's still easy to turn with one hand but there is still some weight to the steering movement.
If it developed a fault or the power supply was interrupted for some reason, then it basically becomes a standard unassisted rack again. I had Fourway's wire it in with an isolator switch, mainly as additional security against theft, helping to considerably slow down a fast get away. But also so i can switch it off and show people how it was before!

uk66fastback

Club Member
Thought I better get myself over to my mate's mums to see if the Z was still in one piece and to have a go at starting it. Armed with a new battery - I had brought the other one back a year ago or so but I fried it somehow. Anyway, that turned up yesterday so off I went. After some new fuel and cranking it over for a while, I took the plugs out - wet, not surprisingly, gave them a clean and lo and behold, the thing spluttered into life soon after on full choke for a bit but soon settled down to tick over at 850 rpm. Top end sounds a bit tappety but at least it runs - and now I can think about getting it home next week ... and took the luggage rack I bought from Healey 12 (David) over just to see what it'll look like when fitted. Superb is the answer.

IMG_2087.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

IMG_2070.jpeg

Last edited:

Healey 12

Club Member
Thought I better myself over to my mate's mums to see if the Z was still in one piece and to have a go at starting it. Armed with a new battery - I had brought the other one back a year ago or so but I fried it somehow. Anyway, that turned up yesterday so off I went. After some new fuel and cracking it over for a while, I took the plugs out - wet, not surprisingly, gave them a clean and lo and behold, the thinik spluttered into life soon after on full choke fo a bit but soon settled own to tick over at 850 rpm. Top end sounds a bit tappety but at least it runs - and now I can think about getting it home next week ... and took the luggage rack I bought from Healey 12 (David) over just to see what it'll look like when fitted. Superb is the answer.

View attachment 61508

View attachment 61509

View attachment 61514

Mike , your car looks superb. Glad you ae happy with the luggage rack . Hope you enjoy driving the car home

Paul Atkinson

Club Member
Been to see DaZ at bodyshop today. Welding work almost finished, paint stripped back and filled ready to start prepping for painting soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20240214_112218.jpg
    IMG_20240214_112218.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240214_111742.jpg
    IMG_20240214_111742.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20240214_111834.jpg
    IMG_20240214_111834.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240214_111811.jpg
    IMG_20240214_111811.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20240130_104329.jpg
    IMG_20240130_104329.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 46

JamMe

Forum User
Thought I better get myself over to my mate's mums to see if the Z was still in one piece and to have a go at starting it. Armed with a new battery - I had brought the other one back a year ago or so but I fried it somehow. Anyway, that turned up yesterday so off I went. After some new fuel and cranking it over for a while, I took the plugs out - wet, not surprisingly, gave them a clean and lo and behold, the thing spluttered into life soon after on full choke for a bit but soon settled down to tick over at 850 rpm. Top end sounds a bit tappety but at least it runs - and now I can think about getting it home next week ... and took the luggage rack I bought from Healey 12 (David) over just to see what it'll look like when fitted. Superb is the answer.

View attachment 61508

View attachment 61509

View attachment 61514

Wow, the car looks like it will be a pleasure to drive. Maybe it will even beat someone in a race :)
How long has it been without attention? Well preserved.