Ztherapy su carbs

73dattoDD

Forum User
I have rebuilt these things countless times, experiencing all the juju from, sinking floats, stuck dome pistons, light and heavy damper fluid, choke adjustments, backfires both ways, smoke, worn needles, debris, uneven floats, un-centered jet, and man i just want to blow these carbs up :conf2:

im experiencing an uncontrollable idle it just soars and soars, I changed the choke setting(venturi idle adj, or what have you) im thinking a vaccum leak pass the butterflys, i replaced every gasket, and part and ordered from zthereapy. i took my carbs off to polish every piece to a diamond. Is there any, TRUE, REAL, NO BULLSHIT, definitive answer to the stock adjustments, of every piece to these carbs, so i can use my unisyn that is getting very lonely :confused:

Ive centered the needles as well im going nuts here:rofl:

NO! I DONT WANT TO BUY "JUST SU'S" I DONT WANT TO BUY ANYTHING KNOWLEDGE SHOULD BE FREE AND OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!!:thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Are you sure you have no manifold leaks from any of the connections e.g. servo?

73dattoDD

Forum User
Are you sure you have no manifold leaks from any of the connections e.g. servo?

Deleted emmissions with pcv. I also connected the anti backfire nipples with a hose.

some are saying 24mm for proper float adjustment, where as chilton says 27mm. Both of the floats should hit the float cover when inverted right? Then, with the jet open, the metal tab touching the pin, the float to cover clearance should be 24mm?

also the" venturi" choke idle adjustment.... is it 2 1/2 turn out or 3 1/2 +/- 1/8-1/4turn

What should my unisyn read when my car is at idle warmed?

what servo to the booster?

73dattoDD

Forum User
Alright, im going to do a write up since i dont see very good tutorials. This is gritty, i assure you, however it beats reading nonsense and dead ends. I hope this finds anyone who takes the time to read, great satisfaction for their skinners union carbs

Stock settings first! 3 screw round top su carbs

1.) Remove front and rear carb assembly

2.) Pick a carb. Remove the damper cap, and atmosphere dome. Check for debris inside the dome and clean thoroughly.

3.) Remove the return spring and piston.(take precautions be gentle and remove straight. DO NOT BEND THE NEEDLE!!!!!)

4.) Take carb cleaner, or eagle one never dull, and make sure all pieces are CLEAN. (Any type of debris inside these carbs will fusker your rebuild)

5.) shoot some cleaner through the venturi choke idle jet at the bottom of the housing.

6.) Take any light lubricant (marvels, silicone, vegetable oil, caster oil, thin weight, etc) lube your parts gently.

7.) Take your piston and loosen the screw to your needle just a hair. Replace your piston inside the housing being very careful, now remove being very careful. Tighten your needle screw back tight, replace piston in housing and check for the distinctive "CLANK"

8.) Replace return spring. Then atmosphere dome. Then add 10w30 oil to damper or damper oil. Replace damper cap.

9.) Your choke idle should be adjusted screw all the way inwards then back out 2 1/2 turns. (may need adj for elevation)

10.) Remove your float bowl, then remove the jet needle assembly, check needle for wear, replace.

11.) Turn upside down.

12.) With the tab just touching the brass pin your float height should be .9 inches to the 1st line.

13.) Floats may require further adjusting.

14.) Assemble carbs back on your car.

15.) Screw the fuel mixture screws all the way in 3 1/2 turns out

TOP F.A.Q

BACKFIRE?: emissions, vacuum adv, lean (if through carbs), rich (if from exhaust), incorrect valve adj, incorrect ignition or improperly installed oil pump/dizzy, faulty dizzy cap,rotor/wires/plugs, improper cam timing, bent valve, vacuum leak.

WHOA! GAS IS LEAKING EVERYWHERE?: debris in fuel system, worn needles, improper choke adj., (try more fuel filters and stay away from ethanol) sinking float.

if anyone could add to this, maybe sticky for anyone going inzane would be cool.

73dattoDD

Forum User
Thanks for taking the time to do this.

What was the cause of your uncontrollable fast idle?

Turns out my cork spacer had a crack in it. Also perhaps leftover gas/ethanol from Shell fuels gumming up bits and pieces. These carbs love to be clean and love new gaskets.

idles well, a little more tuning, but for the most part, runs good.