Z32 afm

liquidsmoke

Forum User
Hi,
I was wondering if there are rules here about posting in the classified section? I would like to post a wanted thread for a Z32 AFM.

Cheers!

Might have some sensibly priced new ones available very shortly - call 01277 374201 for MJP (Eastern Auto)...

OK - now that I see you have used the Z32 unit on your S13 I have another suggestion!

Having just done this conversion on the RB25DET in my 200ZR I found on initial start up that there was a misfire and inability to rev - like a bad MAF. I split the loom to check that the wiring was correct and found that the engine ran fine with the loom spread! The problem seems to be that where the loom splice was made, the shielding around the signal wire was open allowing interference from nearby electrical signals. Taped it up, added a layer of tinfoil at the join, taped it up again - problem solved...

So - check the continuity of shielding around your signal wire at the splice...

Good suggestion! I hadn't thought of that at all. Which particular part of the loom was it you had trouble with? I wasn't even aware that the AFM wire was shielded. I certainly don't remember seeing any shielding around the 3 wires that split out of the main loom bundle in the engine bay, which are the +12, GND and Signal that plug into the MAF.

I also don't see any shielding on the MAF signal wire that goes into the ECU plug? Should there be?

Cheers!

On the Z32 the signal wire is shielded (like a co-ax cable) along the whole length and grounded at each end.
On my RB25 the signal cable is similarly shielded.
I used a length of Z32 loom to provide the OEM plug and spliced the two looms together in the engine bay, joining the two bits of shield together at that point. It left a very short (couple of cm) length of signal cable exposed - that was enough to create the problem. I think the interference came from an injector power feed wire which ended up traveling down the same side of the car.

Just another thought - you have set your PFC to accept Z32 MAF voltage range haven't you?

Cool, well I haven't noticed any shielding on the exposed parts of wiring like I said. When I get home I will investigate further as to whether there is shielding where the wire joins the main loom bundle, and within the main bundle.

Where is the sheild grounded to at each end on yours?

Yes the PFC is setup OK etc. It was working perfectly during a trip to the ring last month. I haven't changed anything since; it just started doing the bad intermittant misfire described on sxoc.

EDIT: S13 Manual shows shielding!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. thanks for the info. I have no idea where the shield grounds are physically connected to. Are they connected to pin 50 and 60 on the ECU which is then grounded internally to the ECU grounds, or are they grounded straight to the chassis somewhere?

Your ECU diagram suggests both chassis and pin grounding - there is probably a common ground tab in the loom. Never any harm in linking the corner screw of the ECU to a direct chassis tab also, particularly if the ECU is no longer in its original frame like mine!

Looks like connectors F11 ground the shields - I know where they are. I'll check this out when I get home and see if it makes any diff :) I'll make sure the shielding is in tact expecially where it is bound near other wires.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
Back