z31 to z32 conversion??????

Sleepersx

Forum User
just bought a very tidy z31 but with a blown engine and auto goin to change it to z32engine manual with box firstly will the z32 clutch pedal fit into the the z31 or do i need a z31 pedal also am i goin to have a nightmare with the wiring or is it pritty straight forward and only a few wires that need spliceing in???

ollyc

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry I cant help but just wanted to say this sounds like it could be an interesting thread. Good luck keep us posted!

Mr.F

Inactive
Nissan used the VG30DE engine in the 300ZR so you know it will fit the chassis. They also used the Z31 panels as part of a disguise mule when testing the Z32 prior to release.
The engine block dimensions are the same for both VG30E(T) and VG30DE(TT)
Engine loom for the Z32 is quite separate (few crossover connections I expect) or you could use an aftermarket ECU and simplify matters significantly - as well as having more flexibility for future tuning.
Not sure about turbo to steering clearance, but most problems can be (and almost certainly have been) overcome.

Quick Google found:

engine.z31.vg30dett.1.jpg

and:

engine.z31.vg30dett.2.jpg

Look how tight that turbo is in the second pic...:eek:

These are LHD cars, but it shows it can be done! Qustion is - how much do you want to spend? Would you be just as happy with a mildly tuned VG30ET single turbo engine? You might still be able to afford to eat for the rest of the year then.

Mr.F

Inactive
This swap leaves a bit more room to play with and would still be good for 300 - 400 bhp:

engine.z31.sr20det.1.jpg

Sacrilege or a modern step forward?

The RB25DET and RB26DETT route is quite well documented also.

Sleepersx

Forum User
Cheers for The feed back guys i did think about sr20 or even rb25 or 6 but z32 seems like the easyist option after Abit of research the only modification needed is to the crossmember or source and fit a zr one its a tight fit yeah but seems Pritty straight forward apart from the wireing but i'm sure ill figure it out somehow lol

MCMLXXXV

Well-Known Forum User
I will eventually want to stick the VG30DETT in my Z31 or fully overhaul the exsisting VG30ET

either way, I'm likely to pay a pro to do all of it as I would want it to be done properly, doing stuff this complex means getting alotta things wrong and that can end up costing more than intially would have cost a professional to do the conversion or the rebuild

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Sick with an SR or an RB :thumbs: (preferably an RB)

Then it wouldn't be a Z(X) any more. The VG30DETT is a fab engine with oodles of tuning potential and a lubberly low growl. Keep it Z (not a dig at the RB or SR by the way and yes, the ZR had a RB20 in it...). Just be nice to see a 300 with a Nissan 300 in it...

gazelle

Well-Known Forum User
Then it wouldn't be a Z(X) any more. The VG30DETT is a fab engine with oodles of tuning potential and a lubberly low growl. Keep it Z (not a dig at the RB or SR by the way and yes, the ZR had a RB20 in it...). Just be nice to see a 300 with a Nissan 300 in it...

Would be cool to have a 300zr :)

Sleepersx

Forum User
I will eventually want to stick the VG30DETT in my Z31 or fully overhaul the exsisting VG30ET

either way, I'm likely to pay a pro to do all of it as I would want it to be done properly, doing stuff this complex means getting alotta things wrong and that can end up costing more than intially would have cost a professional to do the conversion or the rebuild

It isn't really that complex compared to other converions and once you start payin for someone else to convert you'd Pritty much double the costs ill let you know how i get on i'm 99percent sure i'm goin to go with this now

Sleepersx

Forum User
My first option would be rb26 but the idea with this project is to keep it fairly cheap sr20's ent as cheap to tune as you might think to make good power me and a m8 are running a s14a at shakespere county this year in the street drag series running 512bhp at the moment but very soon will be pushing to closer the 600mark but this was a big budget build at 40k plus the most i want to chuck into this is 2-3k just as Abit of fun as a road car

MCMLXXXV

Well-Known Forum User
hope its straight forward job dude!, would like to know how you get on

but if I'm honest, stick to VG engine man

you wouldnt stick a VG in a Skyline, why do it the way around? ;)

fair enough to the 200ZR, but the VG30DETT to date is one of the best engines ever made and the engineering went into that engine is sky high compare to the new VQ engines in the 350 and 370z

btw a brand spanking new VG30DETT fully built delivered from Japan is 6.7k from Nissan dealership, my mate works there, so thought it'd be entertaining to see the costs lol.

certainly much cheaper to just buy a Z32 donor car lol

Sleepersx

Forum User
hope its straight forward job dude!, would like to know how you get on

but if I'm honest, stick to VG engine man

you wouldnt stick a VG in a Skyline, why do it the way around? ;)

fair enough to the 200ZR, but the VG30DETT to date is one of the best engines ever made and the engineering went into that engine is sky high compare to the new VQ engines in the 350 and 370z

btw a brand spanking new VG30DETT fully built delivered from Japan is 6.7k from Nissan dealership, my mate works there, so thought it'd be entertaining to see the costs lol.

certainly much cheaper to just buy a Z32 donor car lol

Thats the plan at the moment trying to find a reasonable priced donor car in manual been hunting the salvage yards but only found a engine with loom and ecu for £600 but no box ideally want a complete car so can use the brakes brake pedal clutch etc... If anybody comes across anything let me know

MCMLXXXV

Well-Known Forum User
I wouldnt do it for a profit

it depends though, some people like to buy moderatley modded cars and some prefer to buy a car in as original condition possible

if it was a 2 seater Z31 with a VG30DETT, it would certainly get my attention

gazelle

Well-Known Forum User
I wouldnt do it for a profit

it depends though, some people like to buy moderatley modded cars and some prefer to buy a car in as original condition possible

if it was a 2 seater Z31 with a VG30DETT, it would certainly get my attention

I doubt it would be a 2 seater...

Sleepersx

Forum User
Right this might be back on track as I've smashed up my 512 bhp s14a looks like I'll be goin sr20 hoping I can interchange a few parts like hubs so a I can use my 8pots and wheels and maybe rework the suspension mountings to take my tein coilovers will need to get a few parts like managent as I sold my motec and a few other parts that I'll need to sort out in need in need of brake clutch pedals to Convert z31 to manual I have got these parts off the sx but dout they'll fit or would they????