Voltage regulators

johnymd

Club Member
Are late 240 and early 260 voltage regulators the same? More to the point, will a late 240 vr or alternator work on an early 260?

I should think so.
If they don't I've got an early 260z one that you can have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been looking and the wirings different.

Sold the 260 today and I've noticed the ammeter isn't showing the car charging. The car wont be picked up for a few days so I need to make sure nothings wrong with the car before it goes. If I could buy yours to try Jon that would be great. I'll PM my address.

Having had various problems with the voltage regulator on my 260 I fitted an alternator with a built in voltage regulator. Much better.

I'd agree with you that the 280zx alternator is a good modification but this is a very original standard car, complete with working factory radio so il like to keep it that way for the new owner.

John, I have an electronic VR on the blue car - inexpensive.

However why do you think it's the VR? Have you put a voltmeter across the battery during running?

Could it be the alternator?

Has the fanbelt gone? ;)

John, I have an electronic VR that came off mine when I replaced alt with 280zx one, happy to mail / lend it to you for trying out? Mine's a late 260 though.

PM me if you want me to post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I still have my late 260z one Jon,if I have you can have it mate,if you need it ring me on 07957881997 and I'll have a look to see if I still have it,can't promise but you never know

Thanks for all the offers. Rob got me thinking a little more about what else it could be other than the VR or alternator. I have plenty of 240 VR's, hence my question, and as I cant just use one of those to test, I may as well check a little further before getting someone to post one. Are 240 and 260 alternators the same?

I think they are yes. Also the shunt may be a candidate cause of your ammeter failure.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454233188.021709.jpg

My shunt on left, VR on right. Shout if you want them.

The ammeter moves but only to the negative when you start using power. If it stops raining I'll get the car out the garage and start some testing. Does the field winding still get power through a charge light as I cant see one on the car. Don't know much about 260's.

No charge light.
Its been a while since I had the ammeter in mine, but as I recall it sat in the middle nearly all the time. It went a little to the right for a while after you start.
I think the idea is that to the left shows the battery is discharging and to the right its charging.

got the car out of the garage between the shower and think it's the alternator. With the engine running I connected a 12v supply to the field terminal and got no change in engine note and still under 12v at the output terminal. Does that sound like a dead alternator?

No, not sure of when they swapped over, but earlier 260s have ammeters.

If there's an alternator prob John, you'd be getting a flat battery all the time.... You've been using this as your daily haven't you?

I think the very early 260 (oct '73) was pretty much the same as a late 240 so had an ammeter.

Thanks for all the offers. I am going to try an alternator off one of my 240's.

Should be OK Tom but thanks anyway. The ammeter works as it moves when you put the lights on ect.

Back