VH45DE V8 Pics

Will be a nice looking car in that colour :cool:
Looks a minty mint shell !!
What's the engine from ?

Ashamed to admit it, but I don’t have a clue what either are :confused:

Q45, being from a yank tank I assume?

Z32? er, is that a 300 tt ?

How does it fit the g/box? Do you need a new bellhousing?

Wyn , you need to log on to 300Zx club forum to get yourself up to speed!
John dixon is one of THE quick men on there. His car looks like my red one you saw at the Pod,(2 seater model =SWB) only his is dark blue and is loads quicker as it is the Twin Turbo(TT) model.
When he gets this Q45 engine SQUEEZED in it will be ULTRA quick!
And we will all get to see it at the Pod!!!!
Maybe John might tell us a little about the V8 unit?

Cheers Pete

Ok I’m a little lost now :confused:

Yours is a 300 Z31 then?

So the TT is a 300 Z32 fairlady?

So what’s the 300 after the 280 that looks lke a 280'ish a Z30?

The Q45, will that be n/a or turbo to be more powerfull then a 300TT.

So many Q's, yet so little time ... I'm all ears :D

Nope cancel the above :eek:

I just looked at the gallery to see what’s what lol :D

Pete, yours is a Z32 :)
So what is the fairlady?

Hi Wyn,
Fairlady is what the 300ZX Twin Turbo (Z32) is called in Japan. The name fairlady was first used by the Japs for the 240Z. The reason i seem to remember is because the designer liked the play my fairlady!

Last edited by a moderator:
John - Was there any particular reasons to go for the Q45 lump over a more typical v8 (i.e. rover or small block chevy)?

I like the idea of staying Nissan, and I'm guessing it maybe mounts more easily? But there is a lot of stuff out there for making SBC go well...

Thanks

900ss, the Q45 is actually a nissan/infiniti luxary barge they sold in america and japan. The engine is a 4.5l 32 valve V8.
I'd guess it's going to be in the same ball park performance wise as my current TT engine (~375bhp) initially, then maybe I'll do some clearence measurements and get some hi comp pistons and cams made up. 100bhp/l should be possible with the 38mm inlet valves and TBH that will be more than enough, never been one for chasing huge power figures I prefer a good, responsive engine. I'm staying N/A with it as this was the whole point of doing the conversion, I don't like turbo engines and the non-linear power delivery you get with them. (And I miss the induction noise!).

Russ, why the VH45? Basically I like the idea of staying nissan too. I know the engine is hugely overbuilt, so the potential is huge. Also, being an engineer, the idea of putting a 2 valve pushrod engine in just didn't appeal to me. It seems like taking a step backwards. Also, the VH45 is lighter then the VG30 believe it or not (~50kg), and the design lends its self well to dry sumping so I can drop it as far down and back in the chassis as possible.

i must correct you thatthe 240z was not the first fairlady it was a spl212 a tuner in japan is fitting a 1000 bhp rb 26 in a z32 intersing am waiting to buy it rb26 is a skyline engine

Cheers for the explanation John

I wish you all the best in your quest for n/a power

Nothing better then seeing "BIG" engines in little holes !! :cool:

Then again seeing little holes in big engines can be entertaining ;) :D

Back