VED exemption

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
hi everyone
ive been eagerly waiting to be able to reclassify my datsun as historic and therefore tax exempt.
the problem is mine was registered on the 16th feb 1978 meaning im waitinhg for the exemption deadline to change.
the deadline currently being anything registered pre8th jan 1978 but when does this date roll over to 1979?
ive done some googling and it seems it changes 1st of april according to many forums.
is this true? because if it is why isnt the date the 1st april and before instead?

From this April 2019 your car is exempt, as the cut off will soon roll to pre January 1979 :)

Wether that means you can actually apply for it, im not entirely sure, as you need to tax it to use it even after the cutoff date, before it can then be officially recognised as exempt in April!!!

You may have to pay it in Feb, then apply for the exemption in April, at which point you should get a refund, is that right?!.... i fear I've not actually been of any help :confused:

No idea why they set it up like that, Government and DVLA, who's knows what goes through their collective minds!

You could just SORN it for the time being :(

cheers toopy thats exactly my thoughts, the car is currently sorned its just frustrating to have to wait till april to send off the log book and wit another month for it to come back.
or can i just take it down the post office and get them to do it?

You can take it to the post office, but they will still need to send it to DVLA so they can update the V5 and send a new one.

hi everyone
ive been eagerly waiting to be able to reclassify my datsun as historic and therefore tax exempt.
the problem is mine was registered on the 16th feb 1978 meaning im waitinhg for the exemption deadline to change.
the deadline currently being anything registered pre8th jan 1978 but when does this date roll over to 1979?
ive done some googling and it seems it changes 1st of april according to many forums.
is this true? because if it is why isnt the date the 1st april and before instead?

Strictly speaking you could easily already qualify as your manufactured date should be at least a couple of months prior to your registration date, the club has an excellent dating service which could prove invaluable to you in this case.

So in order to be classed as tax free I have to register my car as historic? Does this mean sending my V5 back to get a new one?

Any downside to declaring as historic?

Strictly speaking you could easily already qualify as your manufactured date should be at least a couple of months prior to your registration date, the club has an excellent dating service which could prove invaluable to you in this case.
cheers slaphead i did think this but after others were refused historic status this way way i thought i would just play the waiting game

cheers slaphead i did think this but after others were refused historic status this way way i thought i would just play the waiting game

I was initially frustraited but As with most things persistence paid off, so it's well worth doing. The DVLA won't refund money for back tax only from the date they recognise it as historic sadly but still worth doing.
Regards Mark

sent AliK a message so hopefully will com up with a dating letter they will approve, the car is sorn so its not like i want tax back or anything but as long as they can reclassify it i will be happy

Back