Uk register without any documents

ProjectRB204z

Club Member
I'm new to Z Club and to the process of trying to register my current 1971 240z project. It was imported from the US some years ago minus engine & gearbox before I bought it, previous owner paid NOVA but I never recieved any paper work for this! It is a complete car, but currently just a bare shell, awaiting the re-build. It will fitted with an RB25 engine, 350z gearbox, BC racing coilovers etc etc but I've read horror stories about registration of modified cars, so now I don't know the best way to move forward with the build.
I would greatly appreciated any advise on the best way forward to get UK registerd, ideally prior re-build if possible, but really appreciate any help or advise available. Many thanks

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If you're 100% sure the previous owner paid the NOVA fees and you have the US title document all you should need to do is fill out the registration form:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
He says he has no documents in the thread title Tenno.

The UK shipping/clearance agent usually applies for the NOVA on behalf of the importer.
Therefore if you ask the person you bought it from which agent they used you will be able to obtain a copy from them (assuming the seller was both the importer and telling the truth about the NOVA declaration)

However, I suspect that it was more than likely to have been imported as parts rather than a complete car in which case you have a problem.

Moral of the story, never buy an import without correct paperwork or definite knowledge it exists.
Unfortunately you are where you are and no doubt don't want to hear that now though!

richiep

Club Member
I'm new to Z Club and to the process of trying to register my current 1971 240z project. It was imported from the US some years ago minus engine & gearbox before I bought it, previous owner paid NOVA but I never recieved any paper work for this! It is a complete car, but currently just a bare shell, awaiting the re-build. It will fitted with an RB25 engine, 350z gearbox, BC racing coilovers etc etc but I've read horror stories about registration of modified cars, so now I don't know the best way to move forward with the build.
I would greatly appreciated any advise on the best way forward to get UK registerd, ideally prior re-build if possible, but really appreciate any help or advise available. Many thanks
A lot of the problems one hears about over registering modified cars is because people put themselves in the firing line through their own actions relative to an organisation (the DVLA) that is heavily bureaucratic and difficult to reason with/navigate. Sometimes its deserved - heavily modified vehicles that retain very little of the original car (a bigger problem in high value historic racing cars that have essentially been recreated almost from scratch, etc.), extreme builds with massive chassis/monocoque modifications (Z's with tubular front ends, s14 floor pans, etc.), etc.
What you are talking above are bolt-ons and are not things that need declaring to the DVLA in any level of detail on the registration application. The way to go is keep things simple - don't volunteer things you don't need to.

There's some absolute bollocks on the net about the registration process for imported classics too - stuff about Type Approval and Certificates of Conformity, etc. All irrelevant.

It should be a simple process - as long as you have the basic documentation - NOVA reference, foreign title doc. If you don't - as Chris says, that's more of a problem. You should not buy imports without those if you intend to use it as a road car. Unfortunately, people make that potentially expensive mistake if they are unfamiliar with the exercise.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
My own experience has been that there's no problem with not having US title docs as long as you have the Nova and a dating letter. But: they wouldn't register mine while it is in bits (even though I showed their engineer all the original bits).
So it sounds like the way forward might be:
1) get the NOVA. No hope without it.
2) complete the build of the car with minimum mods (maybe just the rb engine and 350z box)
3) get a dating letter
4) get the registration
5) add further mods.

Does that sound right everyone?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
A dating letter is no good if you have not got a NOVA import document!

Otherwise every Thomas, Richard and Harriet would be bringing over salvaged junk and parts cars with no titles and then try to register them as complete cars with just a dating letter from the club................. oh wait....!!!!!!!

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
In fact if the Club wants to uphold standards and act responsibly they should not issue a dating certificate without sight of a NOVA or V5/foreign registration document together with photos of the VIN numbers on the car in the appropriate places.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
In fact if the Club wants to uphold standards and act responsibly they should not issue a dating certificate without sight of a NOVA or V5/foreign registration document together with photos of the VIN numbers on the car in the appropriate places.

We do the latter but it's not the club's job to police NOVA status. If the duties have been paid (regardless of proof or not), then all he should need is a dating letter to go with the registration form.

Last edited:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
We do the latter but it's not the club's job to police NOVA status. If the duties have been paid (regardless of proof or not), then all he should need is a dating letter to go with the registration form.

If the duties have been paid (regardless of proof or not)????
Sorry I don't understand this? Seems contradictory?

The correct duties have either been paid on import with proof being a NOVA certificate if it is a complete vehicle.......
or they haven't in which case it is not a bona fide legitimate import of a complete vehicle is it?

A replacement NOVA if it has been lost is available from HMRC or the importing agent so no excuse not to have it really.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
What I'm saying is that while advisable, technically there is no need to request proof of the NOVA to register the car if you know it has already been paid.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
What I'm saying is that while advisable, technically there is no need to request proof of the NOVA to register the car if you know it has already been paid.

"if you know it has already been paid"
Case in question, the OP doesn't 'know' the duty has been paid.

Here's the real world lesson. There is no proof whatsoever other than the so called 'word' of a seller who was quite happy to sell a vehicle with no documentation, not withstanding the buyer's willingness to buy a car with no documentation at all.

As the car was imported incomplete with no engine or box it is highly possible it doesn't have a NOVA and came in as a parts car and that is why it has not been provided by the seller.

DVLA don't need to see the NOVA documentation, they know if a car has been imported correctly and this is probably why it is not a definite requirement for the Club to check on import status prior to issuing dating certificate, I was just suggesting it may be advisable. Any buyer for peace of mind should always want to see conclusive proof of import duty paid ergo NOVA to avoid a nasty shock when it comes to registration.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The real question is if there's any penalty (other than wasting your own time) for trying to register a car that hasn't had the NOVA duties paid.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
The real question is if there's any penalty (other than wasting your own time) for trying to register a car that hasn't had the NOVA duties paid.

No! ......as long the Club in question is following DVLA rules and regs and not providing dating letters for incomplete cars ie ones without engines and gearboxes fitted or indeed bare shells as per the OP request.

Photos supplied of complete cars showing front, rear and sides together with engine bay and vin numbers in usual locations. Why do you think JonBills was not allowed to register his car until completely built up?

Last edited:

johnymd

Club Member
I have imported and registered a number of 240z's, (not as many as Chris) and would like to share my experience of this. I have paid the duty on all cars and receive a letter stating that duty is paid. This letter never gets sent to anyone. They will just check on the system to verify duty has been paid. So, when you register the car you fill in the v555 and send with it a registration doc OR dateing letter from a registered body/owners club. I have never had to send proof of duty being paid because the dvla will just check on the system. If the club provide a dating letter then they are providing just that. Not proof that duty has been paid.

So in short:
Club provides dating letter.
This gets sent off with v555.
DVLA check duty has been paid and the car is either registered or forms sent back saying duty has not been paid.

You can check with the shipping agent and they may be able to pay owed duty now, as has been done for me, or just see what happens when you send the forms off.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Ultimately there are far too many cars of dubious provenance kicking around the Z scene already! I'll just leave it there.......and refer you to my previous post.

Last edited:

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I have imported and registered a number of 240z's, (not as many as Chris) and would like to share my experience of this. I have paid the duty on all cars and receive a letter stating that duty is paid. This letter never gets sent to anyone. They will just check on the system to verify duty has been paid. So, when you register the car you fill in the v555 and send with it a registration doc OR dateing letter from a registered body/owners club. I have never had to send proof of duty being paid because the dvla will just check on the system. If the club provide a dating letter then they are providing just that. Not proof that duty has been paid.

So in short:
Club provides dating letter.
This gets sent off with v555.
DVLA check duty has been paid and the car is either registered or forms sent back saying duty has not been paid.

You can check with the shipping agent and they may be able to pay owed duty now, as has been done for me, or just see what happens when you send the forms off.

I have huge files with stacks of NOVA letters in - if I EVER sold a car unregistered this letter was ALWAYS supplied to the buyer. I have been importing cars since 1987 (many hundreds of cars over that time from all over the world) so know a thing or two and have seen many changes to the requirements over the years. At one point you had to provide the C386 hand-written pink import document and in the early days of NOVA, the certificate with your DVLA reg. application (pre-full computerisation days).

In more recent times since computerisation, HMRC automatically send notification of NOVA via email and any good shipping agent should also copy you in on this. I provided copies of this letter ALWAYS with every car ever sold un-registered. It gave the buyer confidence that the car had been imported correctly and duty paid and no buyer of any of my unregistered cars ever had a problem at DVLA - and none of them ever needed any dating letter.

When you are a commercial importer and VAT registered you do your own NOVA submissions direct to HMRC and get the certificate emailed back. If you are not VAT registered the shipping agent liaises with HMRC on your behalf and puts in the submission on import. You should always get a copy of this by email and/or in writing. No-one would ever be able to sell an un-registered car if NOVA's were not issued direct to the importer as there would be no proof of payment of duty to give the buyer any confidence.

Shipping agents Kingstown, Penguin, Schumacher, Hill Shipping, Wainwrights, Panalpina and many more, - I have used them all over the years.

Last edited:

uk66fastback

Club Member
It sounds like a world of pain without proof of NOVA having been paid, but also no US title either …

When I registered my car, a guy representing the DVLA came round and did a thorough check - VIN nos etc.

8658kv

Club Member
bought it, previous owner paid NOVA but I never recieved any paper work for this! It is a complete car, but currentl Many thanks
Checking the Nova is the easy part, tel HMRC on 0300 322 7071, (think they're in Ireland). Just give them the VIN they will check straight away.

Always very helpful, will then give you the date of importation, if on NOVA.

If you get stuck, let me have the vin, will check for you. They will also send you a copy if so desired.

Steve

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Great information Steve.
Unfortunately I don't think it will be much use in this instance as I have been told by various shipping agents that NOVA certificates are only 'legitimately' issued on complete car imports. Just to be sure, perhaps verify that fact with HMRC on the telephone call.