Timing issues

Fastededdie

Club Member
Hi all. I’ve taken the rocker cover off to see if the chain was loose. It was, which was strange as we put the new chain on a couple off month ago. Anyway I decided to move the cog to number 2 . Struggled like hell to get the cog back on which we have and the Chains nice and tight. But still she runs rough and not sure weather to move it back to 1 or continue with other possibilities like carbs (triple Weber’s ) and as you know they can the tricky. I have a Petronix ignition system as well. I should check the fuel pressure as well I guess . I’d of thought if the chain is nice and tight it is better? Had other issues like; drive to a show and on the way back she’d cut out and it sounded like a fuel starvation prob . I’ve now rapped the exhaust and manifold in heat shield rap. The car last year was running like dream and hopefully will get her back to that and have her like a daily running car is an aim. Moved the dizzy back and forth and it kinda changed its tune . Any help is appreciated. Thanks Eddie

I don't know what the problem is, but changing the hole you mount the cam sprocket on doesn't tension or slacken the timing chain. The timing chain tensioner does that. Changing the sprocket hole advances or retards the cam. It will have been hard to put back on because its 4° advanced - you need to move the cam a little to line it up with the hole.

In operation, the chain has a tight side (the side the crank sprocket pulls on) and a not so tight side that has the slack taken up by the chain tensioner. If the slack side was really slack, maybe the tensioner has come out of its housing.

Back