The suspension thread

So trying to keep all my findings in one place... anyone feel free to jump in. Sort of put in Order of quality.

Exe-tc - World rally champions, gt3 cup winners, VLM winners, mind boggling quality, different approach which would work well in a road/track 240z imo(custom progressive springs, soft, strong dampers to control the spring). A set for a WRC is about 18k+vat. they won't commit to something that's lower spec as they say 'same development and parts' but 1/5th of the price doesn't stack up. There's an option for something starting at 4k+vat though...

Intrax - seem a very very well developed setup, the strong euro can kill it as an option though as its about 2.5 for the base spec. A top end option.

Leda - going great guns since the name and data was bought 7 years ago. Only now building custom setups, good quality, properly matched setup like the above. Cheaper than intrax. I'm going for a 'factory visit' in a few weeks.

AST - willing to look at a new option for the 240z, using 5100 series as a base.

KW - mmmm

Gaz - sensible price for what you get, seeing some of their matched dampers being tested yesterday makes me think it might be a bit 'pot luck?'. However people using them on here who are happy though.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I have used Leda 'coil-overs' on my old trackday car - very good on a smooth surface but too stiff and slow to 'react' on a bumpy road. Non adjustable. Obviously these are just my thoughts on what I had not what's available.

I have Bilstein 'coil-overs' on the road-rally car. These work very well and are much better for a road car (as you would expect). I don't know what they are, I bought the car with them fitted.

I have used Leda 'coil-overs' on my old trackday car - very good on a smooth surface but too stiff and slow to 'react' on a bumpy road. Non adjustable. Obviously these are just my thoughts on what I had not what's available.

I have Bilstein 'coil-overs' on the road-rally car. These work very well and are much better for a road car (as you would expect). I don't know what they are, I bought the car with them fitted.

Hi Rob

From what I've found out, there were lots of options from none adjustable up. The only ones they do now are double adjustable, whatever I go for will be built for road use as the primary setting.

racer

Club Member
I have these on my car.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/coil.html

I'm running 400lb springs(caged car) and I find it surprisingly comfortable on the road and great on the track. The only downside is the adjusters are on the bottom of the leg. easy to get to on the rear but a bit of a pain on the front.

Next
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z

These are nicely made and Gabriel is very good to deal with. I have his brakes.
The Koni inserts are tried and tested but you may want something a bit more high end?

If I was looking now and was feeling flush I'd have the Intrax. I've seen some of there stuff and it's very very nice.
http://en.intraxracing.nl/merken/datsun/datsun-240z-260z-280z-(nissan-fairlady-z)/dat5503rsa/

I have these on my car.

http://www.arizonazcar.com/coil.html

I'm running 400lb springs(caged car) and I find it surprisingly comfortable on the road and great on the track. The only downside is the adjusters are on the bottom of the leg. easy to get to on the rear but a bit of a pain on the front.

Next
https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z

These are nicely made and Gabriel is very good to deal with. I have his brakes.
The Koni inserts are tried and tested but you may want something a bit more high end?

If I was looking now and was feeling flush I'd have the Intrax. I've seen some of there stuff and it's very very nice.
http://en.intraxracing.nl/merken/datsun/datsun-240z-260z-280z-(nissan-fairlady-z)/dat5503rsa/

Not after high end, just something that works well together, not a mix-mash.

The intrax is lovely.

Ian

Club Member
I don't run T3 suspension but going from their other parts I do run and their customer service I'd say they should be a great setup.

Intrax look good, I need to do more reading into Intrax. I'd be up for a swap to a high end suspension setup in the future.

johnymd

Club Member
I have always been happy with my GAZ setup but then I never had anything to compare it with. The car hasn't been used much lately but been out for a bit of driving round the lanes over the weekend and I have to say, The setup on my old 260z(fourways coilovers) feels better on the road. Feels very planted at speed and copes well with bumps and potholes. These are sectioned struts with shorter dampers and 200lb springs all round. None adjustable dampers.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So what's the best recommendation for a 'bolt-in' solution (if that exists)?

johnymd

Club Member
I believe there is only one bolt in solution and that's from T3 but not really suitable for primarily road use. Everything else will require strut modification.

Moriarty

Well-Known Forum User
I believe there is only one bolt in solution and that's from T3 but not really suitable for primarily road use. Everything else will require strut modification.

Really ?
Plenty of people would disagree, T3 use Koni shocks and Eibach springs, both well respected performance items, the Koni's can be re-valved and the Eibachs changed for whatever......not much wrong there, it only goes wrong when people use silly spring rates.

So as a round up, I properly looked into just about every option going, even some that weren't quite an option.

I ordered a set of mid spec Intrax, for the money it seems to be the best all round option. Even exe-tc who were just too much money said the intrax would be a good option, well developed, well thought out. I was also shown some data from a popular UK place and BC(built in China) to show how mis-matched one damper was from another, along how with the spring rate given was far from suited to the damper.

I used Ad at VA-motorsport. Great to deal with, a real gent in those terms. Hopefully its one part of the car that's done right and should 'pay dividends' in the long run. Its enroute from Holland at the min, once it arrives i'll post some pics up.

Johnny, depends on what you go for. I think they start about just under £2k for none adjustable. I've got the next step up which uses the same cartridges as the more expensive stuff, just without 3/4/5 way adjustment etc.

To add, it's the rsa I went for. Without any options as I couldn't be afford them at this point.

RSA shock absorber
The RSA is an RS with externally adjustable damping. The internals are more complex then with the RS shock to give an even better damping characteristic. Different from our competitors, Intrax chooses for one single adjuster knob for both the compression and rebound adjustment. With this single knob the total damping can be adjusted over a wide range of 40 clicks from “comfortable” to “sportive/hard”. By using one knob the relationship between compression and rebound always stays correct. Also different from most of our competition, our adjuster changed not only the rebound but also the even more important low-speed and high-speed compression damping. The RSA has an internal thermostat that keeps the damping constant, avoiding the harsh ride in the cold morning, and the loss of damping in the heat of the battle. A special version of the RSA is the RSA-HDA, which features a piggyback remote reservoir. This reservoir improves the comfort and damping over big bumps, like potholes and curbstones. The RSA-HDA is manufactured in stainless steel.

Settings
We take suspension serious. Therefore we offer for most applications different settings on the spring rates, shim stacks and damping pistons:
* Fast street / occasional trackday. An upgrade to the sportive side from the OEM equipment. Daily comfort, vibration and noise levels are just as important as handling.
* Trackday / bumpy race circuit / Nordschleife. A suspension to race on both smooth and bumpy circuits. It is possible to ride to- and from the circuits. Ride height is enough to drive on public roads. Laptimes and handling are more important than comfort levels.

Options

ARC (Anti Roll Control)®

After years of development Intrax did it. They developed a unique way to drastically reduce unwanted roll (lateral and longitudinal). Your car will have the comfort and all the other benefits of driving with “soft” springs like extra grip and traction, until you take a corne or need to brake then ARC® will control ride height with the feel of a sport/race/rally setup. While driving over a curb, through a putt hole or over jumps the suspension will absorb them like driving with soft springs. At the same time ARC® will make sure that your suspension won’t during these conditions. So for the first time you can have the benefits of a soft spring set up without the disadvantages of too much body roll and/or collapsing suspension in putt holes, jumps, curbs.

Black Titan

Black Titan is een ontwikkeling welke is gedaan voor de militaire luchtmacht. Ze zijn op zoek gegaan naar iets wat de motoren beter bestand zou maken tegen de verschillende martelingen waar ze aan blootgesteld worden (vrieskou, extreme hitte, sneeuw-, zandstorm enz). Dit is Black Titan geworden, extreem hard, zeer lage wrijving coëfficiënt en bestand tegen corrosie. Na toepassing van Black Titan op hun vliegtuigmotoren werd het onderhoudsinterval soms met wel 100% verlengd.

Intrax heeft gedacht, wat goed voor hun motoren is, is ook goed genoeg voor onze schokdempers. De coating wordt geplaatst op de geleide- en zuigerstang, deze zijn dan niet meer gevoelig voor een corrosie maar de wrijving met de andere onderdelen wordt ook verminderd wat weer ten goede komt van de werking van de demper.

Intrax is a Dutch manufacturer of high-end suspension technology with over 35 years experience at the highest levels in racing. Intrax designs and produces shock absorbers, springs and suspension packages for Formula 1 cars, road cars and everything in between. In addition to an elaborate street- and competition program, Intrax also delivers “custom-made solutions”. Please inform at us what we can mean for you.