texas 240 build

Orgreeny

Forum User
Hi guys
New to the z community i have wanted one for a long time and in October last year i managed to find a 73 240z that had been recently imported from Texas that was within my budget. The car had been sat in a barn for 20 something years and was in pretty bad shape it had pretty much no floors and lots of other rust!!, but every thing was there the interior Was in very good nick with a little clean up no rips or scuffs just a few lizard and scorpion skeletons. the seats look like they were never sat in and as the mileage only reads 23,000 i can almost believe it from this.

First thing i set to doing was to strip the entire car down to get to all the rust and repairs i had to do witch took a good week. Once the car was stripped i set to work on replacing the floors witch is not the easiest job! All of the rust repairs took me around 5 months and at this point i have a fully rust free shell

I then looked at stripping the engine down and as the interior once the head was of i could see this engine was in very good condition no build up on the valves or anywhere in the engine it looked like a genuine low mileage engine, but as it was out i replaced everything anyway!

With this car i wanted to do everything myself and so far i have i am going to also paint the car as i have done some on friends car and it has come out alright! I am not hoping for a spotless car just one that i have poured my heart and soul in to! and a lot of money....

I have Attached some pictures at this point i have got everything engine and drivetrain in and am trying to get it running

Will update soon

Thanks olly

Attachments

• IMG_1438.JPG
    IMG_1438.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1448.JPG
    IMG_1448.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2504.JPG
    IMG_2504.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2727.JPG
    IMG_2727.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG_2882.JPG
    IMG_2882.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3116 (4).JPG
    IMG_3116 (4).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3117.JPG
    IMG_3117.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 182

uk66fastback

Club Member
Oooo, triple webers, lovely - want to post a link to where you got those - interested to see.

You're doing a great job by the looks of it - what was the main problems you encountered doing the floors out of interest - too much has rusted away? Flanges missing etc?

How about all the parts in the engine bay - are most going to be new or refurbed etc?

What suspension has it got?

You must think you're over the worst now though ... all downhill from here hopefully. Got any pics of the original floors?

candy red

Club Member
HI Olly welcome, cars looking good we'll done on doing it your self always make it more special when finished not quite sure how safe your car was supported with an engine hoist and an old tresses :eek: well done with what you've done so far any pics of the bodywork being done.

Derrick :)

Orgreeny

Forum User
Ye the floors were pretty much non exsistant on the passenger side not as bad on the drivers but luckally it hadnt spread to the inner sills so i was able to cut what was left of the old floors out and weld the new pans strait in with a bit of cutting and bending.

As for the coil overs i got some tubes made to weld on to my hubs and have got some apex s13 coilovers on them but will probably change them out in the future.

The engine bay it pretty much all new exsept for the engine and its internals new altinator, alloy rad, hoses, 6-1 manifold and obviastly the carbs witch i got from america (z store)

As for the body work i am going to start it when i have it running iv finished the front end because i was getting tired of seeing it not painted haha

Ye the roof had a very nasty dent in it i have managed to get most of it out i cut a flap in it down to the gutter peeled it back and panle beat it from the inside then tacked it back down it still needs a lot of work, thats the biggest body work issue i have left now!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    918 KB · Views: 111

SacCyclone

Club Member
That is a lot of work you have done and your skill set is perfect for this project it appears. What transmission will you run and rear end? Nice work so far.

Orgreeny

Forum User
Thanks im pretty pleased with the progress

Im going to run the original 4 speed and rear diff for now but will definatly look in to upgrading them in the future

Orgreeny

Forum User
The cylinder head is stock just changed seals and relapped valves but will look at getting head work done when i have driven it for a bit

Orgreeny

Forum User
So a little update on the z
I Now have a fully working and l28 motor in! The l24 that was in it was junk very very low compression and would not ever fire! Luckaly found an l28 out of a 280zx. Pulled the head off and had to do some repairs to it and new seals port matched wile it was off as well

Chucked it all in and got it going, still need to get the webers professionally set up but runs pretty well.

Have also made a full stainless 2.5" exhaust with magnaflow rear silencer and its sounds so good my neighbours now hate me thoghe haha

Also been ordering some other bits for it such as seats and wheels opted for some hayashi racing cr wheels as i think they will fit the car and they are just lovely looking wheels!

Attachments

• image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 96
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image5.JPG
    image5.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 94
  • jjj.JPG
    jjj.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 97

candy red

Club Member
Looking really good making some good progress going going to be very nice indeed when you've finished.

Derrick :thumbs:;)

Mr.G

Club Member
Great stuff, so good that you have tackled every stage in the restoration, you got to be proud of that.

Love the wheels she came with, soft spot for those. I think they call them western turbine wheels...

Orgreeny

Forum User
Its painted just got to get the new frp doors on and it will be a whole car again

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Car looks great. Alot of people have done their Z's in orange lately, I guess thats because it is the colour that probaby suits them best :thumbs:

I think a Z is very much like a Lambo in the way you can get away with painting them in loudl colours & get away with it because they just look even better for it. :cool:

bluejon

Club Member
Nice to see Hayashi making an appearance. Don't hear them mentioned that often, but it always catches my eye because I have them on my car, and an L28, and it came via a decade in Texas. snap, snap, snap. I even got a Texas Z Club sticker on the screen :))

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
This looks an awesome project, loving the seats and colour! There's got to be a big appeal to owning and driving a car that you've built yourself. Must learn to skills to do it myself one of these days...

Orgreeny

Forum User
got the 240 a new mot and the reg documents turned up today so its all go here are a few pics of how it turned out. so happy with how it came out way better than I expected
just hope it drives as good as it looks ha
still lots and lots of bits to get done on it and many more upgrades that I want to do!

33400765056_458791427b_b.jpg
[/url]rollhard pics by Oliver Green, on Flickr[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
32627295173_115f918fa7_b.jpg
[/url]ollyrh-21 by Oliver Green, on Flickr[/IMG]

33441352045_f94a1927c7_b.jpg
[/url]ollyrh-1 by Oliver Green, on Flickr[/IMG]

32627321453_6b8291093e_b.jpg
[/url]ollyrh-3 by Oliver Green, on Flickr[/IMG]