Spot weld drills

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
What do you all use for for spot weld cutting? my past experience of 'special' drill bits has been unrewarding.
I'm going to have to do the spare wheel well, slam panel and perhaps more on my new 240.

If the top panel is being junked I just use a 10mm belt file. There are generally 2 types of spot weld drill bits, ones that drills it completely out but also goes slightly into the next panel or the ones that cut round the spot weld which needs grinding down afterwards.

If the top panel is being junked I just use a 10mm belt file. There are generally 2 types of spot weld drill bits, ones that drills it completely out but also goes slightly into the next panel or the ones that cut round the spot weld which needs grinding down afterwards.
Thanks Mike - what machine do you use for your 10mm belt file? which type of drill bit is better? grinding down afterwards doesn't sound like a hardship.

I went trough numerous "regular" 10mm spot weld drills. I was amazed that after using up 5 cheap ones, one from HAZET lasted for the complete remaining restoration. It is still sharp up today.

I went trough numerous "regular" 10mm spot weld drills. I was amazed that after using up 5 cheap ones, one from HAZET lasted for the complete remaining restoration. It is still sharp up today.
thanks Tim,
did you use this sort:
or like this?

I just used an air powered 10mm belt file but you can get electric ones. Depending on the spot welds it's sometimes handy to have both types of spot weld drill bits. The spring loaded one is good but sometimes needs a pilot hole first or centre punch mark to stop it moving about

Back