Space Framed S30 ?

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Before anyone asks, no this is categorigally not something I am thinking about doing but I wondered if anyone has ever delved into the idea of building a space framed S30 with a fibreglass shell like a dragster would have ??

Russ

Club Member
You mean an S30 lookalike then :)

Pretty sure the big drag boys (Mr.F et al) have done it, is RatZ a space framed S130? Also there was a ladder chassis 240z for sale in our classifieds not long ago.

I've been reading books on suspension geometry and chassis engineering lately. I now have (somehow) a subframed S30 in my grand dream/scheme of things :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes I thought of it a while ago and mentioned it in a thread re Kit cars.

Also as Russ says I'm sure a tubular framed partly finished car (with V8) has been advertised here or on ebay (with pictures).

I have pictures of a S130 space framed race car if you'd like to see them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
You mean an S30 lookalike then :)

Indeed, I appreciate that it would not be a "proper" S30, I was just thinking along the lines of the Chrysler PT Bruiser I saw at Daimler Chrysler with my work a while back. I was teasing the IT Director that the PT Cruiser is a girl's car and it really needs a bloke's V8. He took me outside and showed me their "Bruiser" which was a space frame with a body on top and a 1200BHP V8. Kinda impressive - staggeringly well built.

Rob Gaskin said:
I have pictures of a S130 space framed race car if you'd like to see them.

Yes please Rob.......

I saw the partially finished car advertised too but was wondering whether anyone has actually gone the whole hog and finished one.

Might be an interesting but probably mega expensive project.

Alan......... Have you ever come across such a thing in Japan ??

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Great pics Rob, thanks - there really is precious little in a space frame.

I suppose the problem with this is that may not comply with regulations for racing - any idea what classes a space framed car with a fibre glass body could enter ?

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Something I've always wondered... do the frames make the cars any more robust? Or is it just a weight thing?

ben240z

Club Member
ZHead said:
I suppose the problem with this is that may not comply with regulations for racing - any idea what classes a space framed car with a fibre glass body could enter ?

a spaced framed car would run in a sports libre class which is basically anything goes. there used to be a sillouette class but i think it got banned as it was getting too dangerous. back then the space framed skoda with a F3000 or F5000 engine strapped across the rear would have been the type of cars running. Great engineering but imensly expensive.

ben240z

Club Member
Markp.com said:
Something I've always wondered... do the frames make the cars any more robust? Or is it just a weight thing?

built properly the space frame would be as strong as a monocoque chassis but lighter and it is then possible to put suspension/engine points and mountings where ever it would suit the car and driver. IE a space framed Z could run with wishbone front and rear suspension, much easier to tune and adjust and mid engine or rear engine would be an easy option.
The early F1 cars were all built on a spaceframe with the engine and suspension bolted to it as opposed to the tub type of design now

my250gt

Forum User
space framed 240z

Hi, it was my project that was for sale in the classified ads. It is a 240z shell mounted to a cobra replica ladder frame chassis (so all the suspension geometry, chassis rigidity etc was already set up). Also, it has the mountings for chevy V8 and the jag suspension is more than capable for serious bhp and torque.
I chose the chassis because the wheel base and driver position were the same for a cobra as they are for a 240z.
This is not a space frame, the roll cage is welded into the lightened body shell and the body unit then simply mounts to the chassis.
Doing anything of this sort takes alot of time, and if it is only weekends/evenings you can say fairwell to social life etc.
I have abandoned the project and sold alot of the parts off, but still have the rolling chassis/body shell to sell if any one fancies having a go at finishing it?

Attachments

• 240z.JPG
    240z.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 66

my250gt

Forum User
I had preped the body shell, had the cage welded in, designed and fabricated the body mounts and had it all welded together. I was just getting to the interesting stuff, sorting pedal box position and exhaust headers in order to fabricate the new bulkhead when we moved house. I put the project into a carcoon for the winter and never got back on it. The house absorbed all spare time and money. Decided to sell it off last year. Lots of bits went quickly, just left with the shell/rolling chassis now. Shame really, I regret the decision to abandon the project after so much hard graft, sold too many bits to re-start it without finding another donor car. Have to rebuild my garage soon so it will have to go in a months time, shame to scrap something with such potential though.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
mmmmm i might be interested .......how much do you want for it and what is the runing gear based on and what is left on the shell ie rear diff and axles ,suspension,brakes etc

my250gt

Forum User
The running gear is jaguar xj6 narrowed to e-type spec (aka most jag based cobra kits) without the wheels and tyres which cost £1500 i guess i would be happy to get £800 for what is left, i.e. body shell,chassis with axles but not the wheels and tyres, the engine has gone, so has the gearbox. I am keen to pass it on to someone who might take it further rather than scrap it, if interested give me a call on 01234-708739, phil.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
mmmmm i was thinking more like £200 rather than £800,any chance of a picture as it is now.

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
my250gt said:
still have the rolling chassis/body shell to sell if any one fancies having a go at finishing it?

Can I buy it from whoever finishes it. Purleeeeeeeeeese!

tch911

Well-Known Forum User
ben240z said:
a spaced framed car would run in a sports libre class which is basically anything goes. there used to be a sillouette class but i think it got banned as it was getting too dangerous. back then the space framed skoda with a F3000 or F5000 engine strapped across the rear would have been the type of cars running. Great engineering but imensly expensive.

At Gurston, just around the corner from where I live, and where Ben races, there are some incredible space frame cars. There's a mini cooper that is soo soo fast and all of about 2 inches off the ground with about a 40" roof height. There is also the king of privateer space frame sprint cars.....A ford Puma with widebody Carbon Fibre bodywork and a bespoke spaceframe, mental engine and no sponsors graphics just bare carbon weave. A thing of serious beauty!