Some progress !

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Not on my engine, but Leigh's. Finally started to get it built back up yesterday after the heads returned from CTM. Would have got further, but can't find the bolts that hold the exhaust cam sprockets on - imagine using M7!! Still, it's only prevented the covers being tightened up.

Attachments

• 0076.jpg
    0076.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 146

friday

Well-Known Forum User
Blimey! It's my engine! :D
Looks like the bolts were "mislaid" when the cams were over at Piper but at least they're on order now.
Should be picking up the sump pans on Sunday and my order's in with Pace for the rest of the system so things are ticking along nicely.

Leigh.

friday

Well-Known Forum User
More progress! :)
John came over and below are the results of todays endeavours. Starting to look like a proper engine now! :D Big thanks again to JD, couldn't do this without you mate! :D

VHComplete001reduced.jpg
VHComplete013reduced.jpg

friday

Well-Known Forum User
MrG240Z said:
Looks very nice! That will be a scream in a Z!

Are you rebuilding it yourself?
Yup. John and I are rebuilding this one to go in my car and John's having a rather tasty rebuild performed by CTM in Dagenham, the same place I took my heads and also my cams (before they went off to the nice chaps at Piper). Although mine is definately the "milder" of the two, I'm still hoping for between 400 and 450bhp before the 100 shot of N2O. Fingers crossed anyway! :) Just glad to be rid of the ruddy turbo's TBH! :D ;)

KIM

Well-Known Forum User
Why the fook would you wanna take a perfectly good japanese TT engine out and replace it with that UGLY lump,FFS????:confused: :confused: :confused:

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
BIG KIM said:
Why the fook would you wanna take a perfectly good japanese TT engine out and replace it with that UGLY lump,FFS????:confused: :confused: :confused:
Hey Big Kim this is the Hybrid section - if you don't like don't look;)

John - would you be up for doing a piece for the club magazine? (or have you been attacked for one already)

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
suzy said:
Hey Big Kim this is the Hybrid section - if you don't like don't look;)
Don't worry Suzy, he was told if he came over here and had a dig he'd get an extra biscuit and a pat on the head :rolleyes:

friday

Well-Known Forum User
John Dixon said:
Don't worry Suzy, he was told if he came over here and had a dig he'd get an extra biscuit and a pat on the head :rolleyes:
PMSL!! :D :D :D :D Eloquent, constructive criticism there from 300zx.co.uk's new technical advisor :rolleyes:

300zxmarcus

Well-Known Forum User
I would say the 300zx TT engine bay is far from pretty, its jammed to the brim and a marvel of engeneering, but pretty its not more like a mess and jumble lol. Ive seen pics of V8 Zed engine bays and they look much tidier.

Gareth B

Forum User
300zxmarcus said:
I would say the 300zx TT engine bay is far from pretty, its jammed to the brim and a marvel of engeneering, but pretty its not more like a mess and jumble lol. Ive seen pics of V8 Zed engine bays and they look much tidier.
The first time I looked under the bonnet on mine, I panicked and shut it fast. :eek:

I try and keep it shut these days...

I'm sure this will end up looking as though it should be there. Great respect to both of the V8 '45' guys...

Russ

Club Member
Anyone got any links to tuning the 45? I know there was a big bore kit (5.1) but it wasn't cheap.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Why the fook would you wanna take a perfectly good japanese TT engine out and replace it with that UGLY lump,FFS????
BIG KIM.

LOL MACCA'S spies get there noses in everywhere!!!!:eek:

:D:D:D

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
Anyone got any links to tuning the 45? I know there was a big bore kit (5.1) but it wasn't cheap.
There aren't really any, and the IRL engine builders won't tell you anything.
I've just started from scratch really in terms of CR, cams and intake / exhaust design but it's all based on what works on other engines.
The IMPUL kit is for the newer VK45 and is about £10k :eek:

Gareth B

Forum User
John Dixon said:
Is yours a Z32 Gareth?
Yup, its a red 1990 UK spec TT with a manual box (totally standard but a little tired looking at present).

I personally think its amazing what you guys are looking to achieve with the Z32. If I had the knowledge and money I'd like to do something similar but with a turbo'ed 350Z lump if possible :unsure:. After all, If the Scooby guys can do it with the US spec 2.5 swap why can't the 300zx'ers do a similar thing? :)

Hats off!

G

GlenZ

If only Nissan had used its own parts bin more effectively.................