Rocker gasket install

toopy

Club Member
Im going to swap my rocker cover with a replacement one ive been cleaning up, the old gasket came away mostly without issue, but a couple of bits around bolt holes appeared to be welded on with some type of sealant/resin!!

All clean now after much scrapping with a scapel, but got me thinking is it best to install the gasket dry or use a light smear of engine oil on all mating surfaces?

Also while the cover is off, i will adjust the valve clearances, im familiar with the process, but the last time i actually done it was on a vauxhall chevette back in the late eighties! :eek:
any tips regards adjusting on these particular engines most welcome :thumbs:

uk66fastback

Club Member
There was a great guide the other day on here ... someone found it. Think it was an L28 but the methods would be the same - check the figs given though.

I've just usually smeared a bit of oil onto a gasket when refitting it ... or renewing it.

datsfun

Club Member
All clean now after much scrapping with a scapel, but got me thinking is it best to install the gasket dry or use a light smear of engine oil on all mating surfaces?

One option is to use light sealant on the side that attaches to valve cover and some lubricant/oil on the side that attaches to the head. It allows easy easy removal of the valve cover in future without damaging the gasket which can be re-used etc.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
i use grease on mine and havent had any issues.
i do the same thing with the oil filter or as some have said just use a smear of engine oil.

toopy

Club Member
So general consensus is to use a smear of oil, so will do when it goes back together :thumbs:

Adjusted the clearances.... that was fun.....not!

a couple of the 17mm lock nuts were excessively tight and i smacked my elbow while undoing the first one like you wouldnt believe! pins and needles and no grip strength for a good 20 mins, still aches several hours later! :lol:

All the clearances were out, some needing a good 90 degrees or so of spanner movement to get in the ball park, so hoping for a much quieter tick over :)

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
i had the same issue toopy ended up having to take the rocker finger out and use a socket on the locknut to get it out as annoyingly someone had been there before and rounded one.

toopy

Club Member
i had the same issue toopy ended up having to take the rocker finger out and use a socket on the locknut to get it out as annoyingly someone had been there before and rounded one.

Yeh, it was getting to that point where i was looking for other options and then i whacked my elbow as it released! so good and bad at the same time!

Incidentally, on another thread, someone mentioned about having possibly worn spanners as the fit was sloppy on the nuts.
Well my spanners are underused and in as new condition and the fit is sloppy, which doesnt help when the damn things are over tight :unsure:

racer

Club Member
One option is to use light sealant on the side that attaches to valve cover and some lubricant/oil on the side that attaches to the head. It allows easy easy removal of the valve cover in future without damaging the gasket which can be re-used etc.

Exactly what I do, much easier when you take the cover off next time.

Toopy
My tip for doing the clearances is to take off all your spring clips first with some long nose pliers and put them to one side.
Then whatever lobe is up, adjust the clearance and replace the clip as you go.

That way you know witch ones you've done and there is no need to do them in any particular order. Saves loads of time.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
i bought some brake pipe spanners which are a great fit and less likely to round except theyre too tall and foul on the finger and seeing as i had just bought them i couldnt bring myself to grind them down to fit.
just a thought but did you do the gaps with the engine hot or cold?
could be that if they were tightened last when the engines hot it makes it a ****** to undo when cold.

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
My old gasket was reused a number of times but there was a very very slight oil weep from a small area. Changed the gasket for a new one that came with the car when I bought it. Its rubbery with raised grooves that slots in the grooves in the head.

I also bought a Blue Print brand rocker cover gasket which was cheap and looks it, as it is made out of cork looking material with no raised grooves. Any thoughts on this brand ?

richiep

Club Member
I had a Blueprint one for a short period earlier this year. It was junk. Loose fitting, spongy, a dog to get in the right place, and split where it was sticking out from under the cam cover when torqued down. Chuck it away.

Farmer42

Club Member
I got mine from Euro Car parts about a year ago but not sure of the make (definitely not Blueprint). Cost about £12 and it has been fine.

I also have one in the gasket set I got off Mr F for my L26 engine rebuild and it looks like one of those cork ones. Hopefully that will be ok.

toopy

Club Member
My gasket was from MrF, its a corky/fibre one, seems to of sealed ok so far, i nipped up the bolts by a few degrees when the engine was hot, as i could just see the start of a weep on both sides near the middle, that appears to have sorted it.