Restoration 240z

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
So ok here goes

I have never been that much of a poster but as the car is going to have a fairly hefty restoration I thought what the heck may as well give it a go. I am going to start with the deconstruction of my car, but are in mind mechanically the car is sound. So the focus is on bodywork only.

So the inevitable pictures are required which in the past I haven't had much success uploading but will give it a good go. I'm going to use photobucket and have a play with that as I have found in the past that the site picture management a little unfriendly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, I love a good restoration story as you probably already know. It's great for you, and everyone else as you need the 'before' and 'during' pics to look back on to really appreciate it in the future.

It'll be well worth the time and effort and I hope you keep this up :)

That should do it for today. I will warn you the car wont be going to the restorers till next year but as and when things happen I will be posting up.

Mike

This is what winters are for!

I have to say that it's in remarkably good condition already, but yes, see tin worm, jump on it!

'bare shell in the garage' club.... I'll be joining that shortly too lol

It will take at a rough guess 2 years (ye right). Its kind of worse than it looks. The front end needs straightening so needs to go on a jig. Back end arches although they look good have quite a bit of filler in them. All round the rear slam panel area and lower valence there is filler and tin worm plus an extra exhaust cut one that really shouldn't be there. Bad corrosion on the inside round the petrol filler. Strange welded patch stuck to the inside in same location which probably indicates some sort of hole. Doors were knackered and beyond repair. So to see it through another 40 years needs some TLC.

Well done Mike for deciding to put up photos and starting another restoration thread people on he love to look at what others are doing to there cars its just what the forum needs more posting and not just looking, if people just look and don't post a comment it becomes pointless for the person who started the thread good luck with the restoration mine took two and half years full nut and bolt resto, time dosnt matter so long as you do it right and then benefit years later .:thumbs::thumbs:

Derrick:)

well done for sorting it now.

I thought mine would be 2 years but kids and cash have moved that on some!

are you sticking with silver?

Yep sticking with silver, not sure what silver yet but silver nun the less. The car was originally silver so would be a shame to move away from it.

Looks good :thumbs:

I may have missed it but what camera did you use to get them close up pics
Esp inside the door n boot area ?

Nice work, your Zed looks like it's in good health.

Going to be watching this thread with interest.

Forgive my ignorance but where abouts on the car do you see the surface rust, say from the 8th picture down.

Thanks and all the best of luck.

What's got me here, is HOW you manage to strip it down in such a teeny tiny garage. Ours is twice the size but Alex insists we need a unit!
The colour of the Z and the tiny garage reminds me of FunkySi's project in a similar position.

So, is everything stuffed in the downstairs loo? 2 Years of having to share a loo upstairs coming?

Nice work, your Zed looks like it's in good health.

Going to be watching this thread with interest.

Forgive my ignorance but where abouts on the car do you see the surface rust, say from the 8th picture down.

Thanks and all the best of luck.

The surface rust pictures are taken from the inside on either side of the boot space. You can see in one of the pictures the filler pipe going out through the floor.

The garage is a little wider than the average single garage so has space to move around. Yes would love something bigger but works ok for me. All the bodywork will be sorted next year by someone else in far more spacious surroundings

Mike.

What's got me here, is HOW you manage to strip it down in such a teeny tiny garage. Ours is twice the size but Alex insists we need a unit!
The colour of the Z and the tiny garage reminds me of FunkySi's project in a similar position.

So, is everything stuffed in the downstairs loo? 2 Years of having to share a loo upstairs coming?

Nope its surprising what you can get through a loft hatch. I think at this moment in time there is more of the car in the loft than there is in the garage. :D

Thought I would do a bit of digging around the back end today. Found a patch repair I didn't know was there and also confirmed considerable amounts of filler.

Back