Replacement Choke Cables

Geoff-R

Club Member
Hi all, after a bit of guidance on this. My choke cable is quite rough looking. Whilst the operational part of it is fine, the outer plastic shroud has started to break down and get rather brittle due to the age of it. Is there a kit out there that I can use to replace the bowden cable? I'm just wondering how easy it is to replace as it appears to be crimped in to the end which is operated by the lever. Can the indentations in the crimped metal be drilled out to release the bowden cable? Further to this are there any suitable bellows which can be used on the end once all has been replaced?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I used these when mine perished - mainly to keep the dust out and they lasted about 7 years before falling to bits! They don’t look stock but keep the dust out. They are used on motorbike clutch cables.

IMG_4110.jpeg

Geoff-R

Club Member
Cheers Ali, looking at mine I have moved away from the Hitachi to the SU carbs which I don't think accommodate the bellows on quick inspection, I could be wrong though. I didn't actually realise this until it came time to look at the choke cables. I've ordered some bowden cable (outer) as that has perished and I think I'm going to re-use the internal push/pull cable as it appears to be in good condition. I'll give it a go in the new year and report back on how it's gone providing I find the time!