Rear Bumper Centre Difference on Coupes

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Would anyone know, please, what the differences are between the centre sections of 240Z and 260Z coupe bumpers? I know that, perhaps, only a couple of the very early UK cars did not have the bumper mounted numberplate lights, but my parts book appears to show this bumper centre was used from conception up until July 1973 manufacture. Am I correct in thinking that these very early cars without the bumper mounted numberplate lights were not essentially UK-specification? My parts book shows the second bumper centre section being used until 1978. I only ask because I need to know if the two bumper centre sections are interchangeable between different year cars?

Plain and "number plate style" center sections are interchangeble.
2 + 2 center section is longer and doesnt interchange with coupe.
Mounting brackets are different on 240Z and 260Z.
There are also subtle differences between 240Z and 260Z rear bumpers when it comes to mounting the rubber rubbing strips.

OK, thanks for that. I thought it was only very early UK cars that did not have the bumper mounted numberplate lights, but clearly, unless non-standard, some of the late model 240Z's (no hatch vents) and the 260Z in the pictures do as well. The late model 260Z in the picture looks great, by the way.

I would guess that half the cars here in the UK now have plain US style rears.

Back