LHD 240Z O/S wheel further forward

Red7

Well-Known Forum User
I recently bought a set of Rota wheels from Status for my '71 LHD 240Z, the tyre sizes are 225/50/16, the O/S wheel catches and is slightly further forward than the N/S, I've been searching the Torsion bar, thinking that may be the culprit, the suspension was rebuilt before I bought the car, however during my search I found this ? What your thoughts guys, anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks Darren

Attachments

• IMG_5321.PNG
    IMG_5321.PNG
    269 KB · Views: 59
Well, I have a similar issue that has gotten more pronounced in my ownership of the car. I too suspect it's my compression bar rubber bushes and bought new ones to see if that solves the problem especially as the ones next to the exhaust have had a fair lot of heat cycling.

I also had a compression rod nut loosen itself off on the exhaust side at the same time that my right front started rubbing against the front valence. Once tightened the rubbing went away. So I suspect that is what is causing mine to be further forward than before.

I will likely be doing that job tomorrow so will update.

I recently bought a set of Rota wheels from Status for my '71 LHD 240Z, the tyre sizes are 225/50/16, the O/S wheel catches and is slightly further forward than the N/S, I've been searching the Torsion bar, thinking that may be the culprit, the suspension was rebuilt before I bought the car, however during my search I found this ? What your thoughts guys, anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks Darren

Well, I have a similar issue that has gotten more pronounced in my ownership of the car. I too suspect it's my compression bar rubber bushes and bought new ones to see if that solves the problem especially as the ones next to the exhaust have had a fair lot of heat cycling.

I also had a compression rod nut loosen itself off on the exhaust side at the same time that my right front started rubbing against the front valence. Once tightened the rubbing went away. So I suspect that is what is causing mine to be further forward than before.

I will likely be doing that job tomorrow so will update.

Appreciate that thanks :cheers:

Also there are plenty of HLS30 cars running similar wheels, they must overcome the issue?

Depends on tyre choice as I sed before,but once you have your tyres it's too late,I got a new set on my 260 last year,Toyo, so same as I've had for years but I think it could be a case of the cut being altered to wot they was,the same Levi 501 s have a different cut to wot they had years ago for you put a different brand tyre on it probably won't touch,wot tyres did you get

Depends on tyre choice as I sed before,but once you have your tyres it's too late,I got a new set on my 260 last year,Toyo, so same as I've had for years but I think it could be a case of the cut being altered to wot they was,the same Levi 501 s have a different cut to wot they had years ago for you put a different brand tyre on it probably won't touch,wot tyres did you get

I got Toyo T1R's Paul :thumbs:

Same as mine now I've put stock arms n tie bars back on, but am running 17's

Can either cut the wings inner edge back or run a lower profile/ narrower tyre to clear

So, I found a 40mins slot between DIY and family duties and managed to get under the car today.

The compression rod nut had loosened itself a third to a half off ...

5fd5f437c7e014549cc1564d6a13bd95.jpg

I took it off completely and took out the Bush only to find the PO has used poly. Here is the comparison with the new rubber ones I got from the US

3674a62dcd71377a6d4b1a5f0ce1e662.jpg

4038fd17b489c57668dfaa327b2bef75.jpg

I decided to stay with the poly ones and put the nut back on using thread lock; with 1 thread showing proud at the end of the nut. I'm thinking my tracking will need to be looked at now. This stuff has done me proud on this car and others ... a total pain to get it off again though!

4872b3de0e67596d7f6a95295784ca51.jpg

The wheel no longer fouls the edge of the front valence and is sitting further back again.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but somehow relevant: I read somewhere that poly bushes on compression rods are too stiff and cause metal fatigue causing them to snap. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I found a 40mins slot between DIY and family duties and managed to get under the car today.

I took it off completely and took out the Bush only to find the PO has used poly. Here is the comparison with the new rubber ones I got from the US

I decided to stay with the poly ones and put the nut back on using thread lock; with 1 thread showing proud at the end of the nut. I'm thinking my tracking will need to be looked at now. This stuff has done me proud on this car and others ... a total pain to get it off again though!

The wheel no longer fouls the edge of the front valence and is sitting further back again.

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but somehow relevant: I read somewhere that poly bushes on compression rods are too stiff and cause metal fatigue causing them to snap. Has anyone had any experience of this?

I read the same, and so fitted some of these:
22126.jpg

They made a big difference, so much so that I felt compelled to fit a 2nd front ARB.
I.E. The compression rods with urethane bushes had been very much taking load resisting body roll. So I think it likely that fatigue is possible. But then I would, since I'd already invested to fix it :)

5fd5f437c7e014549cc1564d6a13bd95.jpg

3674a62dcd71377a6d4b1a5f0ce1e662.jpg

4038fd17b489c57668dfaa327b2bef75.jpg

4872b3de0e67596d7f6a95295784ca51.jpg

It'd more or less be a solid mount?

Thanks JB, that is a sexy bit of kit.

:thumbs:

Care to elaborate a little on what it is, what it does, where you sourced? In what way(s) is it superior to what comes as standard on the car?

It'd more or less be a solid mount?

I put that to the test by giving both types of Bush the highly scientific and time honoured "bite" test with my teeth. I learned two things:

1. Clean the buggers before doing that again

2. The poly ones weren't completely solid and had some give; so yes a pretty solid mount compared with the squishy rubber but not rock hard solid either as I had expected.

I put that to the test by giving both types of Bush the highly scientific and time honoured "bite" test with my teeth. I learned two things:

1. Clean the buggers before doing that again

2. The poly ones weren't completely solid and had some give; so yes a pretty solid mount compared with the squishy rubber but not rock hard solid either as I had expected.

I wonder how much they firm up when they're fitted and already under a degree of compression?

You should take your teeth out next time before doing it:D

You know, you make a very valid point there, they do get quite squashed when tightened and I would wager they would be rock solid once fitted. :thumbs:

Gentlemen thanks for the info, I won't get chance to look at mine until next weekend, don't really want to change tyres as I've put a brand new set on, so hopefully it's the tie rod, thanks again :thumbs:

Back