Late 260Z Radiator Hoses

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi there,

I wonder if somebody on the forum could give me a definitive answer relating to radiator hoses on the late model (post 1977) European 260Z. I know that the 240Z and early 260Z were fitted at the factory with braided radiator hoses, but I have never seen these braided parts on a late model 260Z. I managed to find some under-bonnet pictures of a stock, late, (US) 280Z with around 10,000 miles from new and this was also fitted with smooth hoses, which I believe are the same part numbers as used on the European cars :confused:.

Would somebody please confirm if the last S30 (I believe they were known as the S31 in Japan) models were fitted with smooth radiator hoses as stock.

Hi,
I served my apprenticeship at a Nissan main dealers, in the North-West from 1980.
From memory, braided hoses were only used to 76-77.
I have some new old stock hoses for older models and they are all braided (non-z).
My 1979 260z (ch No 21011- Is it older than yours?) has only ever had smooth hoses, which I have owned since 1991.
Mark.

For sure virtually all water hoses have now been superseded to plain rubber, no braid.

Gents,

Thanks for the response. It actually clarifies what I thought, that the last of the S30 line did not have the braided-type hoses. The second owner, who I bought the car off, saved all the parts (except the rear deck carpet) that were replaced on his car in the 22 years he owned it and the set of hoses I have, off the car, are not braided. I suppose there is a very slim chance that the hoses were replaced in the first thirteen months of the car's life (prior to the second owner purchasing it), but that is not likely.

Mike, I have noted that most of the replacement hoses are now smooth-finished, as you suggest, rather than fabric-braided.

Following on from the radiator hose query, am I also correct in thinking that on the late model 260Z, rubber hoses to the brake servo were also unbraided, unlike on earlier cars?

My 1979 260z (ch No 21011- Is it older than yours?)

Mark, my car is body 021066 so, by the looks of it, is very slightly newer than yours, despite yours being registered later. Both our cars were manufactured between September 1977 (body 021001) and June 1978 (body 021384).

A2Z,
As far as I am aware, the brake servo hose for the late 260z is smooth. The only braided hoses I have found on the late 260z is the heater matrix ones under the dash. These 3 are braided, but when I refurbished this area, Mr F could only get smooth hoses as replacement. Oh, and the only other one is the large vent hose on the fuel tank system.

Cheers
Ian

Ian,

I am pretty certain you are right about the servo hoses. On my car, the flow and return heater hoses on the RH side of the engine block are braided as well, which one assumes is from new. One of them has a shield around the hose, which I am sure makes it an OEM item.

Also, a number of (I presume water) hoses to the carburettors (are they for cooling the units) are also braided. I haven't looked at the fuel tank hoses, but I presume they are not in particularly good condition as I used to get the smell of petrol when the car was filled to the brim! I am pretty sure these are NLA, so not sure how to overcome that obstacle yet but it will be a great challenge!

Regards.

Back