Larger Anti Roll Bars - Needed for a road car?

s2k_adz

Club Member
Hey guys,

My car is a 1978 260Z. Ive recently aquired a set of ST Performance ARBS, which I believe are 25mm and 22mm. Im not sure whether to fit them or not as I dont want to make the ride any stiffer.

The car already has BC Coilovers and adjustable Techno Toy Tuning tie rods. Would the addition of these pretty thick ARBs make the ride even harsher? I know they are primarily to reduce roll, but I cant say ive noticed my car is too bad with that.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
They do only resist roll. If both wheels are going in same direction (up or down) then the ARB does nothing.
You might find with the thicker ARBs you can soften the rest of the suspension.

s2k_adz

Club Member
They do only resist roll. If both wheels are going in same direction (up or down) then the ARB does nothing.
You might find with the thicker ARBs you can soften the rest of the suspension.
I anticipated you'd be first to respond having read some of your older posts on suspension Jon! I hope you're well are you going to Spa?

Would they be something you would keep as an upgrade then, and fit to my car? Ive ended up with 2 Zs so Im trying to work out what I should keep for mine!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Yeah, I'm coming to Spa, well🤞 hope I get the engine back together in time.
I would use them, I have them on mine and I think they make a good difference.

Ian

Club Member
Won't affect the ride much, but can have an effect on under/oversteer characteristics.

Most people seem to like them as an upgrade. I'm yet to drive mine with them, I mostly installed them because by extending my frame rails to join up with the rear subframe to stiffen the chassis meant I was unable to run the stock rear 260Z bar.

atomman

Club Member
Some people I know use quite thick/stiff ARB but run softer suspension to get the best handling on there race cars, but then others run hard suspension and no rear ARB,

I ran mine without a rear and a thin front for a while then fitted a thicker front and then a rear, to see what set up i liked most to suit my driving, mainly up the mountains on the twisty tight narrow lanes, I like it better with thick front and rear on mine, But I think its a bit of a what you like and want the car to feel like personally

I think 25mm and 22mm is about the limit on a S30 chassis after that things may tend to 'give' elsewhere as Rob say's