K&N filter to a Z31?

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I've owned 300ZX's for years, but have never fitted an aftermarket air filter.
Is it worthwhile fitting a K&N style cone air filter to a Z31?...or do they simply draw hot under-bonnet air into the engine instead, without providing any real gain, aside from looks?
Cheerz,
JEZ

neil300zx

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

To be honest jez i dont think it makes a blind bit of difference unless your going to do other mods ie full sports exhaust, polished ports etc. The manufactures say 3 hp but i would say thats ott. The only other upside is you dont ever have to replace it you just clean it and re-oil, on mine its says every 50,000 miles

Chris Theo

Active Forum User
I have just added 1 to my 200zr together with a larger turbo intercooler and it has alomost got rid of lag. Whether the filter helped I don`t know. Put a metal plate under the filter to prevent it sucking in hot air.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Did you fit a "filtercharger" kit or just source a cone filter and adapt some tubing yourself?...I thought about just buying a cone filter and using some aluminium or plastic tubing and adapting it to fit.
The "proper" K&N kits are expensive!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Dr_Shemp

Well-Known Forum User
Improvise adapt and overcome, why pay an extra 70 quid for a bit of ducting just because they say its been made specially for your model.The stock system draws air through a hole next to the d/s headlight, so with a little ingenuity you could place your cold air intake anywhere you like, but I have read that air intakes should be as short as possible to reduce friction of air flow. Next time your in local DIY have a look at the extractor fans for showers, bathrooms, cooker hoods etc as various sizes and types of ducting are available at a fraction of K&N's prices. Just keep it quiet that your using a B & Q induction kit!
cheerz

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Where's the best place to buy just the cone filter, without buying the whole kit?
I have read that problems can arise with these filters, when the owner decides to clean and re-oil the filter and uses too much oil.This results in oil getting into the air flow meter and knackering it!
Cheerz,
JEZ

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I've been having a look at Z-Bum's site and although the aftermarket filter doesn't make much of a gain on the NA car, the Turbo car does achieve a reasonable gain even on stock boost!...The maximum gain is around 10HP!
Z Bum's Site
Cheerz,
JEZ

Tirion

Well-Known Forum User
The team green filter he talks about is only $35 + $12.50 air mail. which is what, £25? seems like the cheapest solution to me. I had to e-mail them to get the air mail quote.

Neill

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Any news on the Team Green filter?....I found that the "Ripspeed" counter at my local Halfords can order the replacement K&N air filter (RF-1011), which is much cheaper than buying the Filtercharger kit!
The only thing with the Green filter is it looks a bit small in the engine bay, whereas the K&N filter fills out the space left by the removal of the air box....Just an asthetic point I know, and it's green too! :D

kn.jpg

2047.gif

Cheerz,
JEZ

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
That Green filter might be adequate for the NA Z31, but the K & N is more sensible for the turbo application. To flow sufficient air for up to 300bhp (theoretically possible within the ECU parameters on a Z31 turbo and approx. 10psi boost) you definitely need the K & N. This filter is not available for purchase outside of the Z31 Filtercharger kit and not readily available from K & N's U.K. division.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Chris Theo said:
I have just added 1 to my 200zr together with a larger turbo intercooler and it has alomost got rid of lag. Whether the filter helped I don`t know. Put a metal plate under the filter to prevent it sucking in hot air.

Hi Chris,
Have you any photos of your filter install?
Cheerz,
JEZ

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.F said:
That Green filter might be adequate for the NA Z31, but the K & N is more sensible for the turbo application. To flow sufficient air for up to 300bhp (theoretically possible within the ECU parameters on a Z31 turbo and approx. 10psi boost) you definitely need the K & N. This filter is not available for purchase outside of the Z31 Filtercharger kit and not readily available from K & N's U.K. division.

Hi,
So what's the going rater for the filtercharger kit?....I've seen them advertised on some US sites (e.g. Stillen), but what's the likely cost when imported?
Cheerz,
JEZ

Mr.F

Inactive
Between £140 and £170 + VAT would be the previous range of prices - if enough interest there may be a chance to get this down.

Carl300ZX

Forum User
Mr.F said:
Hi Mr F

Is it possible to upgrade the ECU to compliment the filtercharger kit:confused:

I also heard a rumour that changing the fuel pump to a high pressure one, maybe from a Z32, will have considerable effect on the performance.

I would appreciate your advice on this as i am in the final throws of readying the car for the summer months.....can't wait to take her for a spin!

Cheers

Carl

Mr.F

Inactive
The original ECU fuelling should be more than adequate for a FilterCharger add-on. It is generally accepted as being able to cope with up to 10psi boost on most turbo cars.

Increasing fuel pressure seen by the injectors would be a simple way of increasing fuelling across the board - best achieved with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I can get some nice AEM versions with screw in gauge port, but not cheap and not a simple "bolt-on". The AEM regulator is rated as having a flow rate suitable for coping with up to 1000bhp, so should be fine for Z31!!100psi gauges suitable for use with this also available (and suitable for other applications with various adapters...). You would need to get some rolling road time to check that the AFR (air:fuel ratio) stays good across the rev range.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Further research has found that you can order the universal replacement filter RF-1011, (as used in the filtercharger kit) from Halfords etc., but it will take up to 6 weeks to arrive on the K&N slow boat from the USA!
The cost is £76.75 inc. vat , but you will need to buy your own jubilee clip!

Alternatively I've found a UK website which lists the Filtercharger kit 57-6002 for £118.43 inc. vat. +£7.00 carriage.http://www.dcdezign.com .Delivery is the same...up to six weeks, as confirmed by emailing them and K&N uk.
Cheerz,
JEZ

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Well I decided to order the replacement filter from Halfords and it didn't take long to arrive!...See pictures here..........
Jez's KN Filter

It even comes with the jubilee clip, but you have to source your own twist bracket and nut to secure the end of the filter.I've rigged up a temporary one, but will look for a better one when I've got time.
This is a much cheaper option than buying the overpriced filtercharger kit!
Cheerz,
JEZ

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Had a quick drive with the new filter fitted and it definitely makes a difference!
The turbo spools up quicker and the revs rise much quicker, so that you need to change gear before you expect it!
The engine feels generally more responsive and there's a nicer induction roar.
I didn't expect much difference, but it definitely feels worth the change on my turbo car!
I did think about the Green filter, but decided that the K&N fills out the space where the stock air box was.I don't know how K&N can charge double the amount for just supplying a bracket and nut in the Filtercharger kit though!
Cheerz,
JEZ