Institute of Advanced Motorists. Info?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Chaps,

Is anybody here a member or have any involvement or info? I was looking into it the other day. I like the idea but not sure if it's for me. What do you think the benefits of it would/could be? The courses they run don't seem to be stupidly expensive and it might be fun.

Matt

If it's to make your insurance cheaper then it doesn't make any difference,I done my HGV and car advance driving test,they do let you part with a yearly fee for the monthly magazine you get,that's it really,I done it for me so that is all that counts if you know wot I mean,if you learn 1 thing the it's worth it

Yeah, I know that for me the insurance saving would be exactly £2.31. Lol. I think I just like the idea of it more than anything else. I too have all license quals up to C+E and even tracked vehicles but it's hard to see past the propaganda with most 'Institutions'. If you know what I mean.

It's 40 years since I was in the IAM and I found the membership very keen and enthusiastic. They used to use the Police manual of advanced driving as a base for their courses. (I was a grade 1 police advanced driver for over 20 years). I am sure you will find the instruction very informative but I'm not sure how far it goes now what with speed cameras etc round every corner. Have a go and see if it's for you, your bound to learn something.

It was a policeman who was on the quick response cars that took me for my test,i didn't have any lessons as i couldnt find anyone that gave advance car driving lessons so just went for it,as i said before if you learn 1 thing then its worth it especially with all the rubbish that call themselves drivers that are out there,i dont have my hgv any more due to a detached retina (total loss of sight in 1 eye)but i can still hold my own on the road,just got the zed how i wanted it to do some track days this year so bit dubious about doing any now, but shyte happens doesn't it

Back