Importing 280ZX from Sweden to UK

280ZXDatsun

Forum User
Hi, I am new to this forum and will soon be a very proud owner of a Red 1983 Datsun 280Zx Targa :)

I am hoping someone on here has imported one of these or even any car into the UK, as I would like some help, been on direct gov site and they've just made me worry even more. So much stuff to do :(

The car is a LHD with a KM/H Speedometer only! I've read on direct gov I have to get a certified garage with proof of installation to install this and also I have to get the lights dipped to UK spec.

The lights aren't the problem, it's the dials for the speedo, most 280ZXs I've seen have dual (mph and kmh) but mine doesn't :( , all I can find on eBay and other places is speedo clusters which I don't need I just need the card (or whatever it is) behind the cluster.

I "think" the car was registered in the UK previously as the guy I'm buying it off in Sweden sent me a picture of it with a UK Plate (UHJ 153Y), anyone regonsied it?, I know there's only a hand full of these on UK roads.

If anyone can shed any light on these issues and give me any advise on importing that would be much appreciated :)

Hi 280ZX Datsun, welcome to the forum. Why would you want to import a LHD car when there are so many for sale in the UK? If it were a 240Z I might understand but there appear to be plenty of UK ZX's advertised.

Hi 280ZX Datsun, welcome to the forum. Why would you want to import a LHD car when there are so many for sale in the UK? If it were a 240Z I might understand but there appear to be plenty of UK ZX's advertised.

Most of the UK cars are like Swiss cheese underneath the paint!:unsure:

Have a look on the autotrader website. A very nice original example being offered for sensible money. Needs very little to make it a stunner.

Importing from EU should be VAT free. Stickers on speedo fascia should do trick. Alternatively a speedo cluster and mechanism from a UK supplied 280zx if you want to go even further.

Thanks :) loving the profile pic, open all hours was class, new ones terrible :(.

Yeah it's a long story, The car is a family friends in Sweden so I know it's a good solid car and hes had it a while, hes restored it really well. Hes also restored a white 280Z aswell but he won't sell me that so I have to settle for next best thing haha :(.
Hes also uses my brothers garage for the ZX which did him a massive favour as he needed his garage for another car. I'm paying 3K (40,000kr) Ideally I would love a RHD but I don't have the money for a decent one in the UK . Im slightly worried about LHD driving in UK but I can live with it, always liked Z cars so I'm well happy I'm getting one of these. I wasn't really looking to buy one or even thinking about buying any car, but when I heard he was selling it I just had to buy it. Haaaa if only I could get a 240Z :p that will never happen for me unfortunately :( I know 280Zx's ain't for everyone,they're aren't the prettiest of the bunch but for me they are still sooo nice to look at :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Hi,
The problem with the 280ZX speedo is it is mechanically driven, so you can't just convert it an electrical device.

You can get mechanical convertors that connect to the speedo cable drive though. Then you just apply an mph sticker to the speedo face.

Something like this?....http://geargremlin.com/products/bike_maintenance/mechanical_kph_mph_converter_gg401.php

Hi,

Thanks I didn't know you could do this :) Ive been looking at a mph speedo cluster from USA which is going for the same price as that convertor including delivery, but I will look into this as it sounds easier :)

Hi and welcome
I've got a 1980 280zx dash with all the dials and everything to go with it if it may help

Derrick ;)

Hiya and welcome.

I would just swap the speedo unit. Easy to do, drop Derrick a line. Got any pictures of the car? I'm a big fan of the 280ZX, there are quite a few others on here too.

Huw

Have a look on the autotrader website. A very nice original example being offered for sensible money. Needs very little to make it a stunner.

Importing from EU should be VAT free. Stickers on speedo fascia should do trick. Alternatively a speedo cluster and mechanism from a UK supplied 280zx if you want to go even further.
Yeah I have seen this one I think, just shy of 4K kind of a deeper red? I know the one I'm getting is rust free/ problem free, apparently the original owner of the car was from Saudi Arabia and sprayed it gold haha :) Not sure of the original colour but then went to some guy in UK who sprayed it red and partially resorted , then my bros friend got hold of it in 2010 and hes been slowly restoring that and a white 280Z since then.

Hi and welcome
I've got a 1980 280zx dash with all the dials and everything to go with it if it may help

Derrick ;)
Thank you :) this would help me massively but thing is I'm not actually looking to buy things just yet main reason I have no money till end of month :) Going Sweden start of March to drive the car and get used to LHD, also gives me an idea exactly what I need( if anything) , being staring at pics and videos for past 6 months so keen to see it in person

I don't expect you to hold onto it for me but If you don't sell it in next month or so I may have to give you a shout :) Thanks

Hiya and welcome.

I would just swap the speedo unit. Easy to do, drop Derrick a line. Got any pictures of the car? I'm a big fan of the 280ZX, there are quite a few others on here too.

Huw

Yeah I've seen just the speedometer for sale in USA for bout 35 quid but ends in a day and I have no money haha :( Ahh cool, glad to know there is some other 280Zx fans :)

Yes I have but these are from 2014 wish I had some more recent pictures but recently think he's been busy with another project but going to take soo many when I go over first week in March but since these photos have been taken he has resprayed the front bumper the bonnet and other odd bits n bobs too so should be looking a lot better than what you see in the photos.

Also contemplating fender mirrors rather than the original door mirrors but unsure as I would imagine the visibility would be slightly restricted, anyone on here got them on a 280ZX?

a9cd812251a9ca73dd0f13ef34e9c0ae.jpg

fb52dfbcaec6348f21c08f284a07e75b.jpg
5af5ea6aa68293bfe856b43af47cbbd5.jpg
8511d67d9478fd386c33e1d73539a84c.jpg

Hiya and welcome.

Huw

I would think so, yes. There's many pages/threads out there of changing speedo drive gear to match the final drive, but I've never one that talked about matching it to the speedo gauge.
I think it very likely that km/h & mp/h units just differ by the card (as you put it).

I would think so, yes. There's many pages/threads out there of changing speedo drive gear to match the final drive, but I've never one that talked about matching it to the speedo gauge.
I think it very likely that km/h & mp/h units just differ by the card (as you put it).

Thanks I was hoping this would be the case :)

Dont worry about changing the speedo for import and registration.
I have imported many cars lhd and rhd with kmh speedo,s and never an issue for MOT, technically may say necessary on Govt website, in practice and real world at most mot stations not a problem.
Only problem is maths working back mph for speed cameras, 5/8 so 80 the only easy one, get some tippex and mark the important mph figures for cheap fix ;)

Dont worry about changing the speedo for import and registration.
I have imported many cars lhd and rhd with kmh speedo,s and never an issue for MOT, technically may say necessary on Govt website, in practice and real world at most mot stations not a problem.
Only problem is maths working back mph for speed cameras, 5/8 so 80 the only easy one, get some tippex and mark the important mph figures for cheap fix ;)

Thanks :) I thought as much with Gov website :(. Yeah I know that 60 kph is about 100 and from that 30 is about 50 kph on the speedo. I think I will get the proper cluster though as I want it looking right. :)

Also contemplating fender mirrors rather than the original door mirrors but unsure as I would imagine the visibility would be slightly restricted, anyone on here got them on a 280ZX?

Hi there and welcome to the club. I have recently fitted fender mirrors on my 280zx. The visibility is fine, imo. Main issue will be tracking some down, the are very rare. Best bet is New Zealand. All the info you will need is in my write up in the link below.

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25820

Good luck with the car, they are pretty reliable in general. Just be aware of rust.

Thanks :) I thought as much with Gov website :(. Yeah I know that 60 kph is about 100 and from that 30 is about 50 kph on the speedo. I think I will get the proper cluster though as I want it looking right. :)

Just use a sat nav for the correct speed!

Driving a LHD car takes oo, all of about 10mins to get used to. The thing you have to learn is to remember which side to get in at the petrol station, I often used to walk up to the RH door in my old car and then make out like there was a mark on the wing, spec of dust etc, before casually walking around to the LH side ...

My daily is a RHD. It used to be a LHD a few years back and I never had a problem then - my fault for changing.

Back