How low do you go?

Turn & Burn

Club Member
After a couple of comments about the excessively low ride height on my 260z which I agree with I wondered what heights others were running. I’ve not set the car up yet other than having wound the BCs down to about 10mm off fully lowered. The wheels are 16” with 205/55 tyres.
Measuring from the ground to the arch edge at its highest points I’ve got 605mm front and 615mm rear, this gives the crossmember about 80mm off the ground. I think +20 front and rear would look ok.9DE6306E-3CF0-4836-9A43-A0E8D90BFCEE.jpeg31269EA4-7F92-491A-8757-AD603661667F.jpeg

Set it at a height your happy with , then find a bumpy bit of road and see how it goes , to make sure it doesn't bottom out or rub the arches and go from there, then borrow some scales and corner balance it,

Are those 8's ? 205 width tyres should clear the rears but look a bit close

set it for corner balance, then have a few drives to get it slightly airborne, have it high enough that it doesn't bottom out/scrape the car.
I’d like to corner weight it, but I haven’t come up with a good DIY way of doing this, any ideas?

Set it at a height your happy with , then find a bumpy bit of road and see how it goes , to make sure it doesn't bottom out or rub the arches and go from there, then borrow some scales and corner balance it,

Are those 8's ? 205 width tyres should clear the rears but look a bit close
Yeah they’re 8”, I can still still my fingers between as sat there but they do start to catch after about 50mm of travel, I think I remember Johnymd making a similar observation. Def need to come up a bit higher.

Is it just me, or does the front wheel look quite far forward in the first picture? Maybe it's just more obvious because the wheel sits higher in the arch.

Is it just me, or does the front wheel look quite far forward in the first picture? Maybe it's just more obvious because the wheel sits higher in the arch.

I thought the same. I do know that some people push the wheel forward for increased caster. This is how my standard car looked - the wheel is in the middle of the arch.

springs.JPG

I saw it, but thought the wheel was probably turned in a bit, visually making it look odd.

I was thinking that to , mine was like this when the tension rod nut came loose on one side , or you can fit the lower arms round the wrong way to, as the bushes are offset. or the steering is just not straight maybe ,

I had to roll the lips on the back of my car with a 225/50-15 on a 8" ET0 rim, I thought a 205 on a 8" x 16 would be ok though maybe its the 55 profile height , Does the rear disc sits in the same offset as the OG drum set up ?

I’ve often thought it looked a bit close, but I’m not sure there’s much adjustment available on stock tension rods and they ultimately dictate wheel position. They are nylon bushed on the front side with rubber on the rear, a kit I got off MikeF. I’ll have a look at the castor too and report back.
I think most of the issue is the excessive lowering, I’ve read that quite a few lowered cars rub in that area when on lock although mine doesn’t get closer than 8mm at worst case lock and compression.
I’ve just checked the wheelbase as a simple check that things are roughly in the right place. Give or take a mm or so 2305 on both sides so as near correct as possible.

Last edited:
Back