HIF or HS

yellowz

Club Member
Has anyone got any strong opinions on the merits of using HS Carbs over HIF?

I am still planning for when my Z comes off the road. Doing lots of planning/thinking/stalling. Don't want to take the car off the road in the first place and want to wait for prices to come back down!

I have HIF's on at the moment and was planning to get them overhauled as part of the engine rebuild.

UK cost of £440+vat + any other cost by Burlen

ZTherapy cost to be found out when I phone Bruce.............. gone up slightly now! Bruce's email response to initial query - 'Call me and we’ll walk you thru your situation and our solution to your situation.' Just trying to find a good time to call.

I have no HS6's but there is a pair on eBay which if I get for a decent price will cost £280 + vat +other cost by Burlen

Ztherapy cost about £525 (at current dollar rate) plus all other kind of costs.

So before I even get close to deciding anyone think one type is better than the other?

Have looked across some forums and opinion seems divided. HIFs are better for racing and/or require less maintenance - HS are easier to service........

All opinions welcome - Thanks

Farmer42

Club Member
I take it you are talking Zeds here possibly a 260Z?

If so, you probably have the Hitachi Flat-Top carbs. I, and probably many others on here would recommend scrapping those and getting hold of some 240Z carbs which are HJG46Ws or commonly known as round or bottle tops.

As far as I am aware, they are subtly different from the British H6 SU carbs although I am not sure of the exact details. If you do get hold of a pair of HJG46Ws you might want to re-check with Burlen that they can refurbish these as they don't list the carbs or the parts for them.

If you are not talking Zeds, then I wouldn't like to offer an opinion.

yellowz

Club Member
Its a 240Z with an L26 in it.

As per photo, it's not flat top. Not sure where they came from.............

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 25

yellowz

Club Member
Got the wrong side to show, it is flat on the bottom and does not have the float bowl on the outside.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
I have hs 6 on mine because the parts for the 240 carbs are so far and few between.
Seems to run ok but I'm currently sat on the hard shoulder because a core plug blew out.
Yet to work out why.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
one more thing is the sm needles in hs6 seem to be rather lean aswell so im having to up the needle size to a richer set.
will have to see what happens