Hi-way to Hell (Devil Z builder)

Tsundokuist

New Forum User
Hi All,

I may as well post an intro here as I’ll likely post many questions in the coming years, hoping to tap into all your experience and knowledge…

Basically, after trading my Audi RS5 for a Volvo XC60 when my first child was born 5 years ago, then having years of nursery fees - they don’t tell you about that little £2k-a-month expense before you knock them up do they?! - I’ve spent the last 5 years going back-and-forth debating in my mind whether I stay on the car finance hamster wheel with an R35 GT-R or go freehold with an S30 Z and start squirrelling away parts to one day build a Wangan Midnight “Devil Z” and well, here we are…

Geoff-R

Club Member
Welcome, 2k a month on nursery fees, do you have 2? I know I pay 1k/month for the one, the other is in school, I can't wait to have that breathing space when the second one turns 3. I can relate to your situation and maybe I can give you some perspective. I've been trying to finish my 260z for ages, I bought it before I had kids, then I had 2, then it slowed up and realised I'd been too lazy when I didn't have kids! I do find it a huge balancing act being a parent and having a project car alongside maintaining another toy car but everyone is different. What's your budget for the car? My only advice would be that the S30s are much like kids, you buy them with the rose tinted specs on then find out that there are bills you didn't realise, put it this way I've never totted up what I've spent on mine!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
then find out that there are bills you didn't realise, put it this way I've never totted up what I've spent on mine!
LONG ago, I had a detailed spreadsheet - but I found, it's really best not to keep track! ;)

Having said that, I do have a spreadsheet of spare parts so that a) I know which box to find the required item in and b) stop buying the same part several times over ;). And despite this, I still keep finding parts I had forgotten that I'd bought but not put onto the spreadsheet!!!

Robotsan

Club Member
Welcome, 2k a month on nursery fees, do you have 2? I know I pay 1k/month for the one, the other is in school, I can't wait to have that breathing space when the second one turns 3. I can relate to your situation and maybe I can give you some perspective. I've been trying to finish my 260z for ages, I bought it before I had kids, then I had 2, then it slowed up and realised I'd been too lazy when I didn't have kids! I do find it a huge balancing act being a parent and having a project car alongside maintaining another toy car but everyone is different. What's your budget for the car? My only advice would be that the S30s are much like kids, you buy them with the rose tinted specs on then find out that there are bills you didn't realise, put it this way I've never totted up what I've spent on mine!

I honestly cannot imagine how you guys with young kids have any time whatsoever to spend on something as frivolous as a project car. I find it hard enough and I've only got 2 cats and my partner (hate that word but hate fiancé even more!) to keep happy!

But yeah, sage advice here. I would aim for a car that only needs light restoration.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I honestly cannot imagine how you guys with young kids have any time whatsoever to spend on something as frivolous as a project car. I find it hard enough and I've only got 2 cats and my partner (hate that word but hate fiancé even more!) to keep happy!

But yeah, sage advice here. I would aim for a car that only needs light restoration.
1. It helps maintain one’s sanity!

2. A great excuse to lock oneself in the garage and get away from arguing with little humans the merits of eating, sleeping, lifting the loo seat and aiming well.

3. Fiancée sounds chic, sophisticated and posh. Husband / Wife sounds old and responsible. Enjoy fiancéedom while it lasts!!!

Robotsan

Club Member
1. It helps maintain one’s sanity!

2. A great excuse to lock oneself in the garage and get away from arguing with little humans the merits of eating, sleeping, lifting the loo seat and aiming well.

3. Fiancée sounds chic, sophisticated and posh. Husband / Wife sounds old and responsible. Enjoy fiancéedom while it lasts!!!

Oh I can well imagine the benefits of it, I just don't get how you find the time! :)

But yeah good point, I don't like the word wife either 😂

Geoff-R

Club Member
I don't know, that point about maintaining one's sanity is one I'm not so sure about. The number of times I've lay in bed trying to sleep then I find myself thinking about something on the car, or those times I can't find the 10mm socket in the garage that I know I had 2 minutes ago! Then I think should I just go home and resume my full time job of being a peacekeeper/referee/father/support to wife.

Paul_S

Club Member
I don't know, that point about maintaining one's sanity is one I'm not so sure about. The number of times I've lay in bed trying to sleep then I find myself thinking about something on the car, or those times I can't find the 10mm socket in the garage that I know I had 2 minutes ago! Then I think should I just go home and resume my full time job of being a peacekeeper/referee/father/support to wife.
Something for your Xmas list!

10pc-3-sol-8-quot-drive-socket-set-10mm-to-19mm-colour-coded-neilsen-ct0908-1224-p.jpg

https://www.jwautotools.co.uk/10pc-...o-19mm-colour-coded-neilsen-ct0908-1224-p.asp (for example)

toopy

Club Member
LONG ago, I had a detailed spreadsheet - but I found, it's really best not to keep track! ;)

Having said that, I do have a spreadsheet of spare parts so that a) I know which box to find the required item in and b) stop buying the same part several times over ;). And despite this, I still keep finding parts I had forgotten that I'd bought but not put onto the spreadsheet!!!
Lol, funnily enough, today i had to make a trip down to Fourways to drop of a pair of drums, as they discovered one on the car was badly scored and was actually cracked!

While looking in the garage for the drums, i also found some new brake shoes i forgot i had, several packets of new brake hardware, i seem to buy some 'just in case' whenever i order from Rockauto! and a pair of braided hoses for the rear of the car...bonus, also forgot i had!
I really should keep some sort of record as well :confused:

Tsundokuist

New Forum User

Yes, 2 kids so a similar boat. The older one started school in September but we had the 30 hours “free” childcare from the gov’t so overall it dropped from £2,100-ish a month to £1,450-ish a few months back. The younger one also reduces from Jan but my other-half had a promotion recently so we’ve reassessed who pays for what in the family and I’m free.

Initial budget is hard to answer, if I found an immaculate, rust-free/ready to go Japanese-import, in blue, with the fender-mounted mirrors and a good original black leather interior I could probably make upto £60k work. Looking what’s actually out there, I’m working on the basis of finding something I can consider a blank canvas/compete rolling chassis with a solid base for under £20k to just immediately start stripping to a shell and have that professionally cleaned up, stitch-welded allover, strengthened with roll bars etc and then resprayed.

From there the free childcare money comes into play and every few months I’ll tick off the more minor projects I can do myself like…
- Speed Forme Wideboy/Carbon Aero - £5k?
- KW Coilover Kit - £3k?
- Rays/Volk TE37 wider wheels and tyres - £4k?
- Some sort of big brake setup - £4k?

My main variable/unknown is the engine. I’ve never owned/worked on a pre-1995 car so not sure what to expect there. It’s not so much power I’m concerned with but the reliability/usability, I need to read up on carbs especially (I’ve heard the name Weber a lot in relation to non-Nissans, that’s about it). An engine swap seems like a common route to guarantee first time starts, add aircon and make upgrading brakes easier but that’s beyond my skill level and so another professional job (£30k? factoring an engine and the accompaniments that make it worth the effort).

Overall I expect it’ll run close to/into six figures over 3-5 years with the standard I want to get the build to - which sounds mental as I see it written - but a Nismo R35 would be significantly more and the Z build is at least an experience/hobby along the way…

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Yes, 2 kids so a similar boat. The older one started school in September but we had the 30 hours “free” childcare from the gov’t so overall it dropped from £2,100-ish a month to £1,450-ish a few months back. The younger one also reduces from Jan but my other-half had a promotion recently so we’ve reassessed who pays for what in the family and I’m free.

Initial budget is hard to answer, if I found an immaculate, rust-free/ready to go Japanese-import, in blue, with the fender-mounted mirrors and a good original black leather interior I could probably make upto £60k work. Looking what’s actually out there, I’m working on the basis of finding something I can consider a blank canvas/compete rolling chassis with a solid base for under £20k to just immediately start stripping to a shell and have that professionally cleaned up, stitch-welded allover, strengthened with roll bars etc and then resprayed.

From there the free childcare money comes into play and every few months I’ll tick off the more minor projects I can do myself like…
- Speed Forme Wideboy/Carbon Aero - £5k?
- KW Coilover Kit - £3k?
- Rays/Volk TE37 wider wheels and tyres - £4k?
- Some sort of big brake setup - £4k?

My main variable/unknown is the engine. I’ve never owned/worked on a pre-1995 car so not sure what to expect there. It’s not so much power I’m concerned with but the reliability/usability, I need to read up on carbs especially (I’ve heard the name Weber a lot in relation to non-Nissans, that’s about it). An engine swap seems like a common route to guarantee first time starts, add aircon and make upgrading brakes easier but that’s beyond my skill level and so another professional job (£30k? factoring an engine and the accompaniments that make it worth the effort).

Overall I expect it’ll run close to/into six figures over 3-5 years with the standard I want to get the build to - which sounds mental as I see it written - but a Nismo R35 would be significantly more and the Z build is at least an experience/hobby along the way…
So another thought - if you are considering all that / mod-cons etc, why not seriously consider an MZR car - they start I think at £80k but do all the hard work for you, but you end up with a beautifully detailed Z with its original L series heart / soul, fuel injected and ECU-ed putting out decent power and having a great finish. The only 2 questions re:

1. Do you want to spend the money over time or outright

2. Do you want to do the work yourself / as a project over time?

I love the tinkering as much as driving the car round the track, but just that’s my Way of relaxing.

And @Geoff-R - hahahahahaha!! The number of times I’ve been laying in bed running through the details of custom carb needles, timing curve on the dizzy etc etc!!! Does wonders for helping send my wife off to sleep though - when she asks me what am I thinking about!!

SacCyclone

Club Member
You will be able to find a really solid ,almost rust free s30 for under 20K although it may be a left hooker that will need converting. Still it will be money ahead as opposed to getting a car that needs a lot of metal work.
Mike