Help please!!! Overheating even on a standstill.

rageness

Active Forum User
So I drove the car a 130 miles and it didn't overheat once, I never really went over 50 due to it requiring a new prop shaft and I stuck in 5th to save on fuel.

But now I have got back had the car tuned, Changed the plugs etc and now the car is over heating even while standing still. The fan is working, I have disconnected the heater matrix to make sure that was not interfering, I have removed the thermostat as that did not appear to be working. I have completely flushed the radiator and block and replaced with clean water and ran radiator sealer and flush through. Both top and bottom hoses get hot all the way around the car. I am truly at a loss, Any suggestions?

From what I can tell it's circulating and as far as I am aware it has had a new head gasket so im a bit confused, especially as it was not overheating before or at least it didn't seem to be.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
When you had the car tuned they may have incorrectly set the ignition timing? This can cause overheating.

Using the heater will help not hinder the situation because it acts like a second radiator.

Overheating at standstill is more likely than when driving due to reduced airflow through radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:

rageness

Active Forum User
Im seriously wondering if it's the water pump, think that will be my next route. I'll put the heater back on as I thought that was blocked but it does look like it could bypass it if it was.

Doesn't make any difference if I drive it, still gets really hot :( Thanks guys. Any idea on the price of a new pump or any where in Sheffield that would replace it.

rageness

Active Forum User
Cheers Mike, I actually spoke to you earlier about the tinted lights missing a clip, ordered quite a few parts off you. Didn't see it on site will give you a ring once I am sure it's that, Thanks

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Also could any 1 tell me of a good replacement radiator for not a lot of cash, ;p

Me probably.
Just get in touch if you want me to look etc
email to pmaczc@madasafish.com

Thanks guys. Any idea on the price of a new pump or any where in Sheffield that would replace it.

Fitting a new water pump is a relatively easy DIY job...... UNLESS one of the long bolts shears on attempting to remove.:eek:
The job then turns in to a nightmare as they run thru the timing chain cover:(

Mr.F

Inactive
I keep forgetting to tell people - I have water pump bolt sets available from stock now. Some of the long bolts went "no longer available" recently, so this was a necessary addition to stock.
Doesn't stop the aggravation of getting broken bolt stubs out of the front of your engine though...

rageness

Active Forum User
Appears the Rad has a leak, Water pump is fine and doing it job as I can see it pulling through very well. But the rad has lost water and I can see it coming out slowly, surprised this is causing overheating on such a scale though.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Appears the Rad has a leak, Water pump is fine and doing it job as I can see it pulling through very well. But the rad has lost water and I can see it coming out slowly, surprised this is causing overheating on such a scale though.

Are you assuming it's overheating because the temperature guage is telling you it is or are there other symptoms? Could be just your temperature sensor (apart from the radiator). Other than that I'd be suspicious of the "new" head gasket.

rageness

Active Forum User
Hey, Well the temp sensor seems accurate and it went off the chart the other day before boiling over so the sensor is fine. The head gasket was done by the chap I bought the car from who is suppose to be fairly reputable and everything else has been accurate. It had not over heated prior to this so I am assuming this small leak is causing me the problem. Must say though I am surprised such a small leak is giving me this much grief.

rageness

Active Forum User
head gasket was done some time in 2012 to my understanding and has done under 500 miles since. It smokes a little bit when you put your foot down until it's warm but it's white smoke.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
head gasket was done some time in 2012 to my understanding and has done under 500 miles since. It smokes a little bit when you put your foot down until it's warm but it's white smoke.

White smoke suggests head gasket failure to me.

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
I'm with you on that one Rob. Sounds like the gasket isn't perfect, and so while cold it's leaking, but the expansion due to heat is sealing the gaps.

Obviously, white smoke on startup could be one of many things, but with overheating issues, and it being so recently done, it would point to it being a failure. Similarly, perhaps, the leaking rad being the original cause of the failed gasket through coolant loss/overheating?

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Are you assuming it's overheating because the temperature guage is telling you it is or are there other symptoms? Could be just your temperature sensor (apart from the radiator). Other than that I'd be suspicious of the "new" head gasket.

If it is the head gasket, a new one could have been fitted without skimming which could cause it to blow again. It's quite possible it's blown around the water galleries and into the combustion chambers which would cause the sort of symptoms mentioned.