Help! Door won't close any more.

Ian

Club Member
So, my drivers door decided to stop closing for me today which isn't great as I'm meant to be driving over to England next Friday.

The catch just doesn't seem to lock out fully, it still works when I put a screwdriver in place of the door catch but when you actually close the door it won't engage. I can sometimes get it shut by closing it gently most of the way and then a hard push to finish it off.

Heres a really ****** vid which might give an idea of my problem.

https://youtu.be/JAt3WKP-ey4

Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be? Do I need a new catch mechanism? Anybody got one?

just a guess bit sounds like its either the striker or the catch mechanism is misaligned.
have you checked the door is aligning up properly once the door is shut? this may indicate if its incorrectly set to high or low.

Theres no adjustment in the catch mechanism, I did however try moving the striker to all different positions but it made no difference.

Oh! Wish I'd seen that a few years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same issue, used I piece of plastic plumbing pipe to mimic the rubber bumper on the end lobe, works a treat, let me know if you want pictures and I'll take tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same issue, used I piece of plastic plumbing pipe to mimic the rubber bumper on the end lobe, works a treat, let me know if you want pictures and I'll take tomorrow.

Thanks, but I'm sure the method you are describing is for a the earlier S30 catch, not the later one like mine?

This actually randomly fixed itself for now. I have second hand mechanism ready now in case its needed.

I think I'll be trying this myself. I wonder whether some rubber around the second lobe (the engaging one) is also helpful in making it a tighter fit once it drops into its final position. My door closes well, but has some play in it.

I have to say I love the fact too that this forum is still discovering these little secrets on what is a 12'x6' lump of metal with two seats, four wheels and an engine :thumbs:

Apols for a minor hijack...
I have exactly the same problem, but on the passenger side on my 260z (later model door catch like Ian's). I'm hoping to strip the unit and see if its serviceable.
Has anyone removed one from the door?
Do you have to remove it with all rods attached? I've not found a way to remove them yet so its still all in the door!

Cheers

From the brief look at the second hand replacement unit I got it doesn't look like you can remove the rods.

Mine is an intermittent problem, randomly fixes itself for no reason. But if it happens again I will change the unit.

I stripped the lock mech and rods out of the door yesterday, quite a tight fit past the window rails.
The lock mech was full of 40yrs of crud n dry grease. I soaked it in gunk then jet washed it thoroughly, it's as good as new now.
If your lock is intermittent it may be a similar issue.

Back