Have I done the right thing?

kevleaper

Forum User
Hi to all
Bought my second 240Z back in the winter after 30 year gap and just got it on the road. So far it's been great, but a snapped exhaust manifold stud turned into a head swap (I had a spare 260 head), but this got more involved when one of the head studs sheared on removal - could be a theme forming here.
Fortunately the head stud finally came out without damaging the thread in the block so I'll carry on tomorrow and hopefully get it back on the road. I'm hooked on the engine and fancy building a quick one - anyone with any 280 bits that want shot?
Cheers Kev

kevleaper

Forum User
If there's a pic attached I've done it!

Here you go, before I pulled the engine apart. It needs loads doing to it but very little rust to repair. Can't wait to get stuck in.

Cheers
Kev

Attachments

• IMG_5040.JPG
    IMG_5040.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 85

kevleaper

Forum User
I thought that when I put it in, but in truth it's usually blocked with a car in bits, and I end up working outside on the gravel (which is what I've done with the 240 this time). The car looks a lot better in the photos - needs a complete bare metal respray due to a paint reaction.

kevleaper

Forum User
It's the reversal of most cheaper 240s, **** paintwork but solid underneath. It was restored quite a few years ago, but hardly used and then the paint began to fall off! Have you got a V8 engined one?
Kev

Wyn

Club Member
Sounds good, atleast you have a solid base to work with. Are you going to modify yours for more power or leave it stock?
Yes I put a V8 in me old 240 but sold it not long after.
While later I bought me a 260 and am putting a RB25DET in that

kevleaper

Forum User
I'm going to keep it road legal, and the L-series but see what I can get out of it. I did consider later engines but like the L-series for all the wrong reasons! I like the look of them, especially with side draughts although I'll probably go for throttle bodies because they'll take whatever mods I do without a lot of fiddling with jets. I do like carbs, it's just I want to do it in stages and a remap will be easier each time.

Wyn

Club Member
Well if you like the stock engine then stick with it :thumbs:
tbh, I think its a orrid looking engine but each to their own ;)
Lots of peeps on here like them and a few? have throttle bodies aswell so sure they can help with advice :thumbs:

kevleaper

Forum User
Just looked at the pics of your RB25DET 260. You don't need me to say that's a really nice installation, must transform the car. Is there much generic Nissan-ness - ie bellhousing patterns, engine mounts etc or is it like fitting an engine from another manufacturer?
Cheers Kev

Wyn

Club Member
Kev, yes although mine is more or less using all Nissan parts imo its still like fitting an engine/box from another manufacturer.
Nothing fits straight in as such, at least not using the oe mounts.
I took the easy way and bought an engine mount kit from the states. The rest is a case of make it fit.
Common mod so plenty of info on HybridZ if you feel the need ;)

kevleaper

Forum User
I'm resisting the temptation of modern engine and big power, I think I was born just the wrong side of the turbo threshold, hence like carb induction roar, peaky cams and clockwork ignition. That's not to say I'm anti engine swaps, far from it, just not on this project.
Good luck with yours and don't hammer past me with the dump valve chattering if you see me on the road!

Wyn

Club Member
No fear, it doesn't run a dump valve :D
Good luck with yours and hope you get it up n running again soon :thumbs:

kevleaper

Forum User
I'm sure I'll have the stock engine running again this weekend. I'm really enjoying using it at the moment so don't want it immobilised, but my memory of running a triple DCOE one in 1980 with unknown cam that revved like a two stroke is nothing like driving this one with SUshi carbs on. It feels very flat but it's an unknown quantity at the moment - I've not even checked the timing. By the way is the 900ss tag a Ducati connection?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm sure I'll have the stock engine running again this weekend. I'm really enjoying using it at the moment so don't want it immobilised, but my memory of running a triple DCOE one in 1980 with unknown cam that revved like a two stroke is nothing like driving this one with SUshi carbs on. It feels very flat but it's an unknown quantity at the moment - I've not even checked the timing.

As has been said on here many times the carbs are only part of the equation. Don't judge the power of an engine based on carbs alone - but plenty of folks do.

By the way 4 strokes rev higher than 2 strokes it's just that 2 strokes sound like they are revving higher. I've tried to explain this to folks when my lad was MotoXing but they still go by the sound they hear. 2 strokes are inefficient at very high revs.