Grand Nostalgic - zenki SWB z31 slick top

alexHxC

Well-Known Forum User
here's my latest car yo! sold my daily golf as i was after something "special" and well here it is. Apparently the only hard top 2 seater z31 in the country i haven't investigated this, quite a bold statement but seeing as all UK z31s came in a 2+2 set-up with targa roofs its quite possible!

here's how i got it.

6147909281_8108c07b1c_z.jpg

heres a few pics after a mammoth detailing sesion!

IMAG0142.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

paintwork isn't up to my standard atm, few dents and rust bubbles, i haven't found any major rot YET, there's probably some lurking as its 27 years old!

plans are static drop, which is no easy feat because coilovers will have to be custom made just like on my 240z ill give mark gazzard from gaz shocks a call an see what our options are. Then some wheels will be sourced i've got a rough idea of what size & offset i need to get the perfect "stance" paint will be restored as i go. I've got quite a few projects on the go at the moment so progress will be slow!

cant wait to crack on though!

cheers

M

madmarco

Wow, lovely example! Mr F can confirm if it's the only one in the country but I kind of doubt it. Quite a few Z31s owners in the club and one in paticular that is properly slamed, I'm sure they will post soon.
Welcome to the zClub!

MCMLXXXV

Well-Known Forum User
lol Marco, this Z was also mine haha!, just sold it on to Alex recently cause I need to concentrate on my black SWB, owning two SWB is some responsibility lol

Alex is a fellow Grand Nostalgic member, and he's well skilled, so this car should be looking more awesome in no time!

me and Mike(Mr F) were actually discussing about all the SWB's in the country and came to conclusion that this is in fact the only slicktop :D

Rovdriver

Forum User
Hey, I followed the auction for this car on ebay.. I acually intended to buy it and have it sent to Norway. It has the steering on the correct side:)

But I had to travel off to work, so I didn't follow up the end of the auction....:(

Good luck with the car, and let me know if you are selling it some time.

Mr.F

Inactive
I can confirm that I've never come across another slick top Z31 in the U.K.
This example has passed my way on more than a few occasions and I know its whole U.K. history and some of its Californian background!

M

madmarco

Nice, looking forward to seeing how this rare example develops.

Buckaroo Banzai

Well-Known Forum User
That looks like one tidy motor, looking at the pics of the interior and the age of the car I think the interior on the z31 was a better quality and finish than that fitted in the z32. The velour certainly stands the test of time better than the gopping pavement grey sack cloth fitted to the early z32's...:(

Although the wheel rims have polished up a treat they do look dated and cant wait to see the pics with the new rims fitted..;)

alexHxC

Well-Known Forum User
got a few goodies at the weekend

IMAG0307.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

a nice manual conversion was a 350 mile round trip to pick it up so lets hope its worth it as i hate the auto, its soooo lazy!

also got the struts off ready to send to gaz for some coilovers :)

IMAG0310.jpg

hopefully have it sat on the RB-Xs in a few weeks, sooooo excited.

then its time to tidy up the bodywork

also contemplating a kouki front end conversion to run some nice lips, going to see what a zenki looks like nice and low first.

alexHxC

Well-Known Forum User
So decided to take a trip down to gaz on my day off with sascha to drop the struts off for the coilover conversion.

Decided on a 7" inch chop over the usual 1". Was just met with lots of laughter then when they realised we were serious one of the engineers said ok that can be done just don't tell the boss Lol

423216_10151414220495249_733670248_23556106_2096143543_n.jpg

Got shown there latest track cars, should be interesting ;)

Turn around is around 3 weeks I was told so can't wait to get the set up back and on the car :)