Gaz coilovers ... Gaz gold?

Andre

Well-Known Forum User
Gonna be sending my suspension from my 280z to Gaz either today or tomorrow and can't really decide what the best options are for me , either there basic coilover conversion of pay the bit extra and go for the Gaz gold set up with adjustable dampers.

Not really gonna be a track car so would the gold set up be wasted on me or is it still worth going for it just for the fact it may be better quality and a better coilover kit? Any benefits to the gold set up apart from the dampers ?

Really don't mind paying the extra for the gold set up if it's actually worth it on the streets and possible benefits.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I went for Gold

Always useful being able to adjust the rate. You never know one day if you change the springs for different poundage you can adjust the dampers to suit

astroboy

Well-Known Forum User
How does it compare to the BC coilovers?

Hello Doc, there's a massive thread on the hybridz forum about these coilovers.

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/117236-bc-racing-coilovers-for-s30-new-pictures-page-19/

This picture is copied from the thread and the owner mentions,
'Still need to roll the fenders so I can drop back down just a touch.'

hybridz_BC_coilvers_height.jpg

Personally I think that's a nice height as it sits in the picture. Although I haven't read through the thread as of yet so don't know much about the tech specs or the ride height/feel.

Andre

Well-Known Forum User
Well the suspension has gone gone today so will give them a call tomorrow and find out some more info on the Gaz gold options.

The silver Z is a guy on my Facebook from the states, decent chap too and helped me out in the past.

johnymd

Club Member
I went for the adjustable damping as well as ride height and I'm glad I did. I have it set for 5 on the road. Maybe a little lower for long journeys like Spa then wind it up to 15 for smooth tracks. Its really easy and quick to adjust (although you have to lean under the car). Wouldn't go for fixed damping.

Andre

Well-Known Forum User
Spoke to Andy at Gaz today and he said he will talk through my options next week, kinda looking like I'll be going with the Gold set up though as it's better all round by the sounds of it even if I don't use the dampers much I've still got options so set it up for comfort which was mentioned above .

Do you guys remember what you paid for yours?

johnymd

Club Member
Ask them how accurate the new tubes are welded in as quite a few are done at the wrong angle and not checked before leaving their factory.

Andre

Well-Known Forum User
I've come across the one story about them getting welded in wrong, is there more than this one case then?

johnymd

Club Member
I know someone who works there so know for a fact that the angle of the tube is not checked before its welded on. They all come out at different angles. If you make it clear at the time of ordering then I think you should be OK.

atomman

Club Member
surely that's one thing you check before you cut them off ? and then weld the new ones back on the same angle ? basic fabrication skills really

stiffi240z

Forum User
Hi all,

This is officially my first post - and one of many I'm sure. I bought a 72 240z about 18months ago from William Gallier's. I have stripped her down for a full resto and am coming towards the end of the body work. Next up is suspension. I have have also spoken with the guys at Gaz and they seem like a friendly bunch.

I would really like to hear from those of you using Gaz Gold kits. Would you recommend them? Do they feel too focused for road driving? Has anyone had maintenance issues when after a few years? As I have read a few reviews which infer their earlier kits had a few defects.

Many thanks for the support in advance.

Tom.