Fuel Gauge Voltage Regulator

PHIL HYETT

Well-Known Forum User
HI GUYS DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE FUEL GAUGE VOLTAGE REGULATOR IS ON A 260 Z AND WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE .I AM GETTING 0.O4 VOLTS FROM THE POWER FEED AT THE FUEL TANK SENDER .NO GAUGE READING !HAS ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS . PHIL :bow:

Oil pressure and water temperature gauges have internal voltage regulation, thus if both become faulty at the same time, it is reasonable to suspect that this internal function is at fault.
As far as I can see, the fuel gauge does not share this function, i.e. no internal or external regulation. If grounding the yellow wire at the tank sender does not produce movement at the gauge needle, it may be reasonable to assume that the next step will be to try another gauge.
Gauges on a 260Z are reasonably easy to remove - remove dash centre finisher and grilles; remove vent duct exposed; this gives access to the screws holding each gauge bracket. Pull gauge out backwards and disconnect from loom. Two connectors on the fuel / ammeter gauge...you may find a damaged wire or a pulled connector. Also gives the opportunity to test voltage at the back of the gauge.

THANKS MIKE . I HAVE GOT TO SAY I CANT WORK OUT WERE THE POWER GOES FIRST .TO THE SENDER THEN THE GAUGE ? IF SO HAVING NO POWER AT THE SENDER WOULD POINT TO A GOOD GAUGE ? HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD A FUEL GAUGE PROBLEM ? on a 260z ? need help with this one .:bow: phil

I had a problem with my 240 fuel gauge, sometimes it went up to full for a second then it would go back down to empty, I kept thinking it was a bad earth and kept messing about with the sender unit even though it was new with the new tank, then as a last resort I got a gauge from a scrapper and then the prob was solved. Hope that helps.

Guys

Reading this thread now sets me thinking, my gauge loves to keep me guessing at the tank level:rolleyes: some days we're full others.....well I just have to listen for the increase in pump speed from the boot as it tries desparatley to convert vapours to fluid:eek: I've checked supply at the tank as Mike says a few weeks ago, all's well, but I'd never suspected my gauge could give up the ghost.

Steve

I will check my shed but I think I've got 2 fuel/volt combi gauge units, as mines an intermmitent fault I wouldn't warranty either gauge even if it seems to cure it; but would fit both here to try them, and if you want one of them just pm me an address and cover the postage. Will let you know buy end of weekend.

Nigel

GIVES ME A FEW THINGS TO THINK ABOUT . THANKYOU TO YOU ALL .THE BIT THAT BOTHERS ME THE MOST IS NO POWER AT THE SENDER UNIT !!!
ALL OTHER GAUGES WORK FINE :bow: PHIL

Power route is from fusible link to ignition switch, ign switch to fuse box (10A), green wire to gauge. Should still see 12V at gauge input - this power also lights the internal illumination bulb. The gauge is, in effect, a resistance, so you probably won't see the full 12V emerging at the yellow wire.
Inside is a bimetal strip and a heater coil which bends according to how much it is heated and moves the visible gauge needle - this in turn depends on the resistance added by the position of the tank sender unit. The manual suggests that a "half" reading will be given when the sender resistance is 32 ohms, thus a test resistor of this value on the yellow lead to ground should give a half full :))) [or half empty :)()] reading.
My feeling is that if there is 12V at the green wire in, but gauge still does not read, it's time to fit a new gauge...The only other test I can think to do would be to earth the yellow wire at the gauge end which, if the gauge moves to full, might indicate a wiring problem somewhere between the gauge and the sender.

I Have Only Gone And Fixed It

WELL GUYS I HAVE FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS THE GAUGE ALL THE TIME .SWAPPED IT FOR ONE I HAD FUEL WORKED AMPS DID NOT .SO TOOK BOTH GAUGES APART TO MAKE ONE GOOD GAUGE JOB DONE .
THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP :bow: :bow: :bow: PHIL .
NEARLY TIME FOR MY FIRST TEST DRIVE IN MY NEW V8 240Z G NOSED .EX CLIVE STANDISH CAR .CANT WAIT !!!

Attachments

• 400ZG Pic0085.jpg
    400ZG Pic0085.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 10
Back