Front suspension on a 260z

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
I hope this hasn't been covered somewhere before, I cant seem to find it if it has. But basically my o/s shock is leaking its the old oil type. I have replacments and when the garage went to change them they said that its all one unit including hub is this correct? the ones i bought specifically for my car dont fit they're just inserts but seem to thin to fit in the shock housing. Do i need to buy a new assembly including a hub or are they missing something on how to remove the shocks?

Wyn

Club Member
the ones i bought specifically for my car dont fit they're just inserts but seem to thin to fit in the shock housing.

That's how they are, they should be inserts which are narrower then the strut body

Something like this .. ignore the make but the same style

large233985.jpg

imo, you might want to find a diffo garage that know about cars, I would lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
yeah they look nigh on identical to those i believe they are kyb ones? I got em from MJP so i know theyre right. they look like they are too thin though when he showed me so im wondering if ive maybe miss clicked and ordered a '74 set. mines '78 and I always see they are separate like that so i guess there is something different?

Wyn

Club Member
Difference between early n late is the height not width ?
The insert when fitted isn't a tight fit as such when slid inside the strut body.
Sure its held tight top and bottom but it has a fair old gap around it
That gap I believe should be part filled with oil to help cool it (depending on damper)

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
ah I see, so I do actually have the right ones then. it sounds more like the garage not knowing whats going on to me now. Thanks pal for the info its appreciated :)

Mr.F

Inactive
KYB front shocks fit both early and late cars - they supply two different gland nuts for the different strut tube diameters. The new gland nut supports the cartridge at the top. A thin spacer may be needed for some applications and is included (if I remember rightly).
The old strut tube needs to be cleaned out and about 10ml of oil added so that the gap between cartridge and strut is filled - aids heat transfer and stops the cartridge sticking in the tube if dismantled later...
KYB fronts for all S30 Z marked with KYB part number 361002.
240Z and early 260Z 2 seater (to '74) rears marked 361001.
Late 260Z and all 2+2 rears marked 361003

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
try another garage that knows what they are doing or lend the a 240z Haynes manual

ryn004

Active Forum User
Sorry to bring this old thread up but I want to buy KSport weld on coilovers for my 260z 2by2. I want to keep my original struts intact and manage to source 240Z struts to cut up. Before buying and shipping them over am I safe in saying they are the same for my application?

Wyn

Club Member
Mr F to confirm but I believe 240z have different struts to 260z unless from earlier pre 77 260z?
260z 2+2 rear are diffo again to all ?

Mr.F

Inactive
240Z and 260Z 2 seater to 08/74 use the same strut cartridges and are the same diameter strut tube. However the 260Z struts have the spring seat in a lower position.
All 260Z 2+2 and 77/78 2 seater (there are no 75/76 UK 2 seater 260Zs) use a different strut, both in length and diameter, so require a different cartridge. However, some aftermarket cartridge manufacturers use the same front unit for both and package with two different diameter gland nuts (and sometimes a spacer ring) - KYB for example. Late / 2+2 rear units are often a shorter cartridge with an extension piece on the bottom.
Always use some light oil (e.g. jack oil) to bed in a cartridge - stops them sticking if a tight fit and improves heat transfer in operation. Use enough to come within a centimetre or so of the top of the strut tube when the cartidge is in place.