Coolant / antifreeze

nospark

Well-Known Forum User
I've done a search on these forums but would be grateful for some clarification. The coolant needed for a 1972 240z is ethylene glycol ? This is available from the Nissan dealership and is the GREEN coloured coolant ? Thanks in advance.

This is confusing me. Have a look at this:-
http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/Concerns with antifreeze for classic cars 090310.pdf

My understanding is that the Nissan green coolant is HOAT based, that is, it is not recommended for classic cars. I think its specification is ethylene glycol based but it does not contain the silicates that the older engines need. Does anyone use the Nissan green coolant and has a Nissan coolant bottle to quote the specs?

Go on ill give an opinion ive been like a keyboard warrior today,,well for me anyway.Ive always used ethylene glycol blue(just a dye)antifreeze since the 70s even with the 2 year limit(and changed it in that interval ) in every car,diluted to the min 33 %? or so recommended on the container and have even replaced modern engines with the same stuff when out of warranty.The main reason i feel for the existence of most of these organic blah blah antifreezes is longer service intervals(and owners being lazy with coolant changes) and maybe better anti corrosion?plus i feel the confusion in types creates brand and dealer loyalty,there maybe some special alloys and gasket makeups that need specific anti freezes but ive never seen any special metallurgical combinations in modern cars(i maybe wrong).Plus neat ETHYLENE glycol ignore the propylene ones, is an excellent cheap wood preserver and it also has a natural affinity to be drawn into already wet wood and any accidental spills breaks down harmlessly in soil in about 3 wks or so, not that im promoting its usage in this pc world.(sorry for non car related info lol).

Thanks guys. I am tending to agree with you and go for the ethylene glycol blue dye stuff that has silicate protection. It is my understanding that the main issue for the older cars is not to muck up your gaskets and seals. The HOAT stuff is ok for cast iron and aluminium but it is questionable whether it gives sufficient protection for the composition of seals/gaskets on older cars. (In this respect it is generally recognised that OAT coolant is obviously a no no for older cars)

My car came with green coloured coolant which would tend to suggest its not traditional ethylene glycol. Probably time to flush out and put in some blue stuff sooner rather than later.

General question to those reading this thread. Are you using blue ethylene glycol coolant or are you using something else ?

PS When changing coolant does anyone remove the engine block drain plug as recommened in the manual ? It is my understanding that its a b*&^**&% to remove

............The HOAT stuff is ok for cast iron and aluminium but it is questionable whether it gives sufficient protection for the composition of seals/gaskets on older cars. (In this respect it is generally recognised that OAT coolant is obviously a no no for older cars)..............

General question to those reading this thread. Are you using blue ethylene glycol coolant or are you using something else ?

PS When changing coolant does anyone remove the engine block drain plug as recommened in the manual ? It is my understanding that its a b*&^**&% to remove

It's the copper and brass that's the problem with old cars using 'modern' antifreeze. I use the blue stuff as I posted - it doesn't have silicate in the title but does mention it in the description.

TBH I don't usually use the block drain but I did take the thermostat housing off, removed the thermostat and gave it a good flush through with the heater in circuit. You will need a new gasket if you do that.

Back