Classic car tax

Devilpaint

Well-Known Forum User
i was talking to a guy with a '79 reg car who said he was applying for the tax exemption.
i understood this to be a cut off date of 1975?
my cars on a 79-80 plate.
what i want to know is, is he talking out of his arse or is it poss to get classic status on 25 yr old cars?

:S30: im led to believe its got to be built before jan 1972???? if im wrong someone will soon put me right im sure.

spagit147
260z 2+2

The DVLA say......(Exemptions from Vehicle Excise Duty...VED )

"Old Vehicles – vehicles constructed before 1st January 1973 that are not used for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business."

Cheerz,
JEZ

When it was introduced it was for vehicles over 25yrs old but it was stopped. To be honest I think too many people were resurrecting old bangers as their daily drivers, to escape taxation costs.

JEZ300Z said:
The DVLA say......(Exemptions from Vehicle Excise Duty...VED )

"Old Vehicles – vehicles constructed before 1st January 1973 that are not used for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business."

Cheerz,
JEZ
Yup, and my old (and now sold) Triumph GT6 was born on March 2nd 1973, Cheers then!! :mad:

Jez is right here. I investigated this myself for an MG. The cut off date is definatly built before 1st January 1973. It doesn't matter if it was first registered after this date. The dating is simply based around the VIN of the car. If there is a confusion you may have to get some form of proof from the manufacturer to give to the DVLA.

It amazes me that after something like 7 years, people still can't grasp this !!!

Sorry, not a personal dig but this comes up far too often :)

I have had my car MOT'd recently a 6/ 73 model 240z and on there new DVLA computerised system the car comes up as a 71 model so does this mean if it's logged in at DVLA as a 71 I have a case for TAX exemption??????

It is there system after all???

Sounds like you have a "computer error" in your favour. Might be worth your while checking with the DVLA wether you can get away with it. Saying that though your Tax reminder should tell you as the price to pay is on there and if you are exempt then it should state £0.00. Even if you are Tax exempt you will still get a reminder for a new annual Tax disk but not get charged. The prices on the reminder are purely there for the Post Office's benefit.

Yup, our beloved Mr Brown decided that the few hundred classic cars that were tax-free were such a drain on the national purse that the then rolling 25 year exemption had to be frozen.

Bitter? Moi?

Back