Changes to DVLA Historic status

Fairlineguy

Club Member
A really important step towards getting clarity of what repairs are allowed in DVLA's eyes without jeopardising a car's Historic status. More to follow... 😀

Taken from historic and Classic Vehicle Alliance

We are pleased to inform members that the DVLA has begun to address the concerns of our members and those of our partner organisations within the Historical Vehicle User Group (HVUG).

Announced on Friday was a re-assessment of previous considerations relating to chassis components, modifications and consequential Q-plate registrations. It was confirmed by DVLA’s Head of Strategy and Policy that “replacement of the front frame assembly, including the picture frame, will no longer be considered to be a modification requiring the allocation of a DVLA VIN and Q registration number” in reference to an E-type Jaguar. This is an issue that has affected many E-Type owners.

“We anticipate that this will be the first of a number to changes to previous assumptions that will be announced by the DVLA as it continues to review its approach to the complexities of the Classic and Historic vehicle sector,” says David Meek, HCVA Chair. “Whilst this step has taken a long time, it is encouraging that progress is now being made and we look forward to continued progress relating to other areas of uncertainty on behalf of our members.”

SacCyclone

Club Member
Do I understand the DVLA to say that it is permissible to change the picture frame " left hand drive to right hand drive" and still be in compliance with Historic status?

Or is it something else they are saying?

Mike

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Do I understand the DVLA to say that it is permissible to change the picture frame " left hand drive to right hand drive" and still be in compliance with Historic status?

Or is it something else they are saying?

Mike
Reading between the lines .It sounds like the dvla have in the case of E type Jaguars allowed the front cradle / clip which I believe has the stamped chassis number be replaced with out the vehicle loosing its identity and being issued a Q plate .
sound like other changed could be a foot ?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm assuming that Etype (XK) owners were being 'stung' with a QPlate status if they had to replace the front spaceframe from the bulkhead forward, off which the engine and suspension hung? Qplate means 'kitcar'