Cam timing

Mr.G

Club Member
132152354.jpg

Got a couple of question regarding cam timing..

Is it true that if I move my sprocket to the No.2 position, instead of No1, I will get more hp at a little higher rpm? (A bit like using an adjustable sprocket).

Also, looking at the above picture, I have read that it is better to have the groove a little bit to the right of the dash, rather then i have it now in the centre, as to the right it is advanced and to the left is retarded. Comments please...

After months and months, I am finally putting the head back on the engine so I could do with some fresh advice.. thanks.

Mr.F

Inactive
There are several factors which will determine whether your statement will be true or not. In an ideal world, your cam manufacturer's grind will exactly match your specification card, your lash pads will all be perfectly sized and equal thickness, your valve stem heights will all be perfectly level, changes in head thickness will be compensated for by using cam tower shims, there will be no production tolerance in dowels or keyways...

In the real world, some (or all) of the above may not be perfectly as Nissan intended and, if using a reground camshaft (or indeed some new cams made from fresh billet) lobe shape, phase and specification may vary along the length of the cam and exact specifications may not have been achieved on every (or any) lobe. Also base circle run-out may be excessive. In the case of camshaft inaccuracy, it is common to hear that setting up on cam sprocket position 2 improves the horsepower gains from such a camshaft. Position 2 provides 4 degrees of advance relative to the crank; position 3 provides 8 degrees of advance. The often quoted Samuri 74 degree (sic) cam is a case in point - virtually all of these I've looked at have been set up on position 2 or with one of Spike's mysterious multi-hole sprockets.

Nissan Motorsport provide a multiple hole sprocket providing adjustment in 3 degree intervals from retard -12 degrees to advance +9 degrees allowing precise set up of any engine.

To quote A. Graham Bell, "...advancing the cam will improve bottom end and mid-range power; retarding the cam will decrease bottom end and mid-range power, but may very slightly increase top-end." He recommends +6 - 7 degrees on road / race cams, but this may hurt absolute top end horsepower - good for shorter, slower circuits, but not ideal where sustained top-end horsepower is required. A little retard may be useful at the strip where excess :)conf2:) horsepower is giving traction problems off the line. He assumes that your cam specs are within acceptable tolerances...

Suffice to say that determining all this requires a range of very careful measurements and the checking of camshaft specifications for each lobe, plus some careful experimentation with back to back dyno testing to see what is right for your application.