Building a garage

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I'm going to be Building a garage in the not too near future.
Wondered if any of you have any good pointers or might know what the rules are on planning permission and building regs.

I'm pretty excited as It i'll mean the Z can come out of storage and finally be finished!!

All help appreciated!

Wes

Just go to your local council offices FIRST. ask to speak informally to an officer on building regs and planning(not always needed). They will have leaflets with rules n regs too.
getting them on board is important and an informal chat will facilitate the whole progress.
You know what I built!;)
that was how I got it all thru nice n smooth with no hassle.
Inspector came on sight once as the footings were being dug. Made a couple of minor reccomendations which the builders agreed to on the spot. He left never to return.:D
Also dont forget the neighbours. Here too an informal approach first will usually pave the way for a smooth build.:)

Cheers Pete,
It's an old terrace house with a big rear lane. Some of the houses have garages and some don't. Generally I can't see any problems. I'll call into the offices once we're in and see what I can achieve. Would be ideal If I can build it the same width as the house! Could get 2 Zs in then!

What pmac says is correct. Go to planning dept first and explain your idea. A good drawing with dimensions helps, but get them on your side. You will find that most planning depts these days will give free advice before you start and are very helpful. But CROSS THEM AT YOUR PERIL.

I have just had the plans for my garage passed.The plans cost £370 for drawing and submitting to the council, including the application fee, and it takes a minimum of eight weeks for approval.If you build the garage above 30ft x10ft then you have to apply for building regs approval that incurs another fee and involves drainage etc.The officer visited and took some photos of the proposed site and about a month later the proposal was posted in the local press for any objections.I allready have a garage on the site with planning perm. from the 80s but because the new garage is 5ft longer than existing i had to go down this route.Hope this helps.

Ok Garages:-

Planning may or may not be required depending upon the specific circumstances, and as stated in previous posts it may be best to speak to the local planning officer who should have a leaflet that gives more specific advice.

There are various cases where permission is not required. If it is more than 5m from the house for example (given various other criteria being met).

Even if it does not require Planning, being “permitted development” it may be worth applying for a Certificate of Lawful Development from the Council which certifies what you plan to do does not require planning and can come in useful if and when you come to sell the property. (they will charge a fee for this however-now there’s a surprise!)

Building regulations will probably not be required if it is under 30m2 although there are other provisions like distance from boundaries that need to be taken into account.

You also need to take in to account materials as if it is built in timber or other “combustible” material you need to be a min distance from boundaries.

There are also some requirements under the Party Wall Act that may apply depending on how close to the boundaries you intend to build, if there are adjoining buildings etc. Basically try not to upset the neighbours

It is not too difficult to sort out and just needs a fairly methodical approach.
It is a bit difficult to comment properly without seeing it and knowing the circumstances, but if you have any questions pm me and I will try and answer them.

[FONT=&quot]Hope this helps[/FONT]

Thanks Colin,

I think I just need to get to the planning offices and then I might bring up anything I might want to ask about on here.

Wes

When Buying my house I have now one of the first things I did was to write to the Building regs dept. of the council regarding putting up a 28x22 ft. garage. They wrote back and said thats fine as the distance away from house, size of garage to house and land was all fine so go ahead.

WEll I got a JCB in, dug the lot out, footings,hardcore,crushed concrete,sand,mesh,membraine and over £2000 worth of concrete and a letter drops on the mat! OH SH!T !

It said " sorry we have made a mistake you must not build a garage of that size without Planning Permission, Please contact us at ********* or phone *******.

I had a choice in the end, dig up the lot or place a smaller garage on the site within regulations or take them to court and possibly loose...nice!!!!

The moral of the story; check with both departments and get it in writing from both if needs be, but Planning dept. has the bigger clout.

Its going here!

17"8 Wide (fence to fence) and then ideally to the Grass. Only just had the offer accepted though so it's not going to be for a little bit but I'm just getting excited!

Attachments

• ROA1026196.jpg
    ROA1026196.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 17
Biggest private one I have done was for 6 large cars (Mercs/Range Rovers ) with rooms over for the "Drivers"

This was for a Foreign client and some of the Range Rovers had some interesting "toys" in a locker in the back.

Have done larger but for a commercial garage.

Russ said:
Garages, brilliant aren't they :) Can't wait for one that I don't have to share with anyone (does that ever happen?).

I know we've posted this before, but something like this Wes?

http://www.ultimategarage.com/Ultgar2y.htm

I think I posted the original link for that garage!....Just knock your whole house down and build a garage instead!You can have a small lounge/sleeping area and live with the cars!:D

Back