Brown color in my coolant? help

Josh

Forum User
Great to be here ZClub forum,

These days we are blessed with the internet being able to find awesome forums like this!

Right guys, my mechanics my practical and terminology sides are awful please have a little patience with me. I can complete a few tasks when it comes to basic maintenance so I'm not utterly useless. I can complete simple tasks like changing A wheel, the tires, oil, coolant, window wipers etc etc, Most of the tasks everybody carries out on their motors.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a problem but it doesn't seem right.... I have some form of a brown rusty looking slightly flakey substance floating around where you refill your coolant This is what I meant by bad terminology! haha. I brought this dream 2003 350Z a couple of years ago and she drives like a dream daily making my day very pleasurable. Like most cars of its age, it's had the odd flat tire and a gasket somewhere down the line but nothing major. She gets services when the brochure recommends ( x amount of miles or warning alerts) and has then I do the small amounts of maintaining along the way.

Yesterday, as I was Cleaning oil change etc I had found that my coolant "Container" was like a misty brown. I have tried flushing the coolant out (found quite a lot of this rusty flakey substance) and tried different mixes and brands of coolant from the cheapest coolant to the most expensive I could find, no difference. I'm hoping you guys might have a little knowledge on this?

SPECS
Year: 2003
Model: 350Z
Mileage: 33,878
Engine: 3.5L
Drive: Rear wheel
Doors: 2

If there is anything else I could add on that would help you guys just mention below and I will get that added on asap!! Looking forward to some replies guys!

Cheers

s-l225.jpg

TimW

Club Member
Hello Josh, Welcome.

Not sure of your question tbh, is it about discolouration of the coolant tank/container? If so, there are things you can do, let me know and I'll post up something.

There's a recent discussion on coolant, not sure if of help, but here's the link.
http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27933

Josh

Forum User
Yes it's the discolouration in the water that I am worried about, a brown flakey substance.

I will check out the link you guys have provided and see where I go from there!!

Cheers

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
If you mix oat and iat coolants, you get silicates cyrstallizing, which could be your brown flakes.
A good flush and refill with the correct coolant would sort that.

Paul_S

Club Member
Hi Josh, I used to own a sunset 350Z too - I loved it :)

Yours is very low mileage! Being a 2003 car, is it a JDM (import)?

I can't say I've heard of this before on a 350Z so I'm sorry I can't give you a specific answer.

I see you live in Kent - I'm in Ashford. If you want to meet up so we can take a look and put our heads together then drop me a PM :)

Josh

Forum User
If you mix oat and iat coolants, you get silicates cyrstallizing, which could be your brown flakes.
A good flush and refill with the correct coolant would sort that.

I will visit the Nissan 350Z site and see what specific coolant I should be buying then flush it with that! thanks for the reply.

And hello Paul, A meet up might just be a good idea!! Thanks for the offer I will get back to you soon.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
When I ran my 370Z I used Nissan coolant. The old stuff came out the right colour too at 39k. I would use what Nissan use in a 350Z tbh. I took pictures to prove servicing (which I did myself).

Attachments

• SV201122.JPG
    SV201122.JPG
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 16
  • SV201125.JPG
    SV201125.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 16