Bridgstone Potenza RE050A tyres

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Folks, the rear tyres on my 370 have less tread depth on the outside than inside. The rear suspension has quite a lot of negative camber and so the wear pattern surprises me as I drive the car quite carefully.

My dealer at the recent service pointed out that they have 3mm depth on the outside, 5mm on inside which to be honest I knew.

Anyway I think these tyres are made like this, i.e. the outside has less of a groove around it to give good dry weather 'press-on' grip. Am I correct? If so then when do I replace them, when the outside is down to 2mm or when the tread 'across' the width of the tyre is down to legal limits? By the way they are about £260 each!

RobZ32

Well-Known Forum User
The Bridgstone Potenza I have had were equal depth from new. Are the RE050A directional or just sided? If directional I would have them turned on the rim and then fitted on the opposite side of the car.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The Bridgstone Potenza I have had were equal depth from new. Are the RE050A directional or just sided? If directional I would have them turned on the rim and then fitted on the opposite side of the car.

Rob, they are 'sided' and have a 'slicker' pattern on the outside. I'm sure they are produced with a shallower grove on the outside. I'll ask Bridgestone Potenza if that is correct.

RobZ32

Well-Known Forum User
Might be worth doing a temperature check after driving, inside, centre and outside of the tread. You can use my IR gauge if you want. Then you will know which bit is going to be worn down most.

370 rear camber setting is -1.17 to -2.16 degrees

Paul_S

Club Member
I'll have a measure of mine (they're sitting in the garage at the mo). I think you are right that the tread is less on the outside edge.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well, I was waiting until my tyres were really low on depth and then intended fitting Winter tyres (worked well on the 350Z I had).

However I noticed a set of 370Z wheels and tyres on ebay which were ok so I've bought those. They are originals with the Potenzas on and still have lots of tread left - the guy updated to 20" wheels.

So I now have a spare set - which is reassuring. If I ever I cut a tyre or damage a wheel etc. I hate not having a spare (not even a spacesaver on my 370). Or they could be used during a refurb.

Of course I can't carry one with me - no space :eek:.