Black & Silver Number Plate Rule Changes

So the 01/01/1980 date will no longer roll over. I just fitted the classic style plates to my 1975 historic. Pleased with them. Thanks for claryfying.

Can poke your black and silver plates post 73 up your bum hole.
To me they just look so wrong out of period. In fact anything from circa 1970 would have more than likely come new with reflective with raised black plastic digits.

BUT hey each to their own.

To me any post 1972 reg with black plates just looks wrong. They may suit the style of car, they may match the colour scheme of the car. But black plates on anything after an L suffix is just weird to me. Come the revolution I'll sort it!
So a 1972 S30 is ok with black plates but a 1974 looks completely wrong? Personally I like a black plate on any age.

:shiver:

Baz has it right, in fact I’d say that K reg is about the limit for me. Most new cars had reflective plates from about H reg on, so 1969-70. Silver plates made the car look old (even when it was new). I made the plate for my ‘66 fback (FBK 1D) from some metal from eBay and some 3D letters. Would I go to all that trouble again? Not a chance! Perspex yellow ones for me.

Personally, nothing worse than seeing an R-reg Capri/RS2000 (other Fords are available) in gleaming black with a silver & black plate!

Horrendous (and the modern, thinner font as well, so double fail as the kidz say)

bi8rmr9G.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 71 classic (K reg) which has its original Hills plates on, front white reflective with black riveted digits/letters and the rear yellow reflective. I quite like the look of them, they need replacing as worn but the reflective paint they used then was very impressive.

I think from 1969 ie H reg (prefix) they were white and yellow reflective for new cars.

As an aside, does anyone know what a red border would have meant in the early 70s around a rear reflective plate?

My blood just ran cold ... :D

Edit: as an aside, I wonder how many S30s had black and silver plates when new in this country.

I'd venture possibly none!

So a 1972 S30 is ok with black plates but a 1974 looks completely wrong? Personally I like a black plate on any age.

Absolutely it looks wrong. As stated, it’s not to do with the style more the suffix letter which denotes it wrong and out of period.

I’ve noticed black plates out of period seems to be a big thing with Ford mongs, no matter what year.

When I restored my Mk1 RS I fitted the raised plastics. Perfect

94F8C27B-E186-4C98-A738-1C8409A7B94A.jpeg

Perfect plates on that Ford. That’s how it should be done!

Having black plates on early cars is neither wrong or right as cars of many makes of that period had them. But any non-reflective plate on a post ‘73 car just looks wrong to me as they were never like that.

But it’s all just opinions!

Absolutely it looks wrong. As stated, it’s not to do with the style more the suffix letter which denotes it wrong and out of period.

I’ve noticed black plates out of period seems to be a big thing with Ford mongs, no matter what year.

When I restored my Mk1 RS I fitted the raised plastics. Perfect

View attachment 44149
My Zed (built late 1979) would technically still qualify for the old black & white plates, but I think it would look ridiculous.

Our family car bought new in 1971 (Hillman Avenger) had the raised black plastic lettering as your Mk1. I remember my dad swapping the rear yellow with black plastic lettering one for a flat 'new style' reflective one, I guess there must have been a change in the MOT requirement. I think anyone buying a new car back then would have seen the old black and white ones as dated.

As a side note; anyone remember these stamped ally horrors from the 80s? I binned this one off the front of the zed. This style always reminds me of Ford Sierras for some reason? This would be the period correct look for my motor, but not a nice one.

plate.jpg

1037FC44-51D5-48C9-9756-2B1F43CFFB6F.jpeg If it’s legal and it suits your car (in your opinion). Then go for whatever suits. I think the black and silver plate suits my car much more than a yellow plate. There’s plenty of us also tweaking letter and plate sizes to make them fit on the back of the car.
Back off fashion police!

Last edited:
To me any post 1972 reg with black plates just looks wrong. They may suit the style of car, they may match the colour scheme of the car. But black plates on anything after an L suffix is just weird to me. Come the revolution I'll sort it!

Unless you drive a black Range Rover with over tinted windows and massive wheels, in which case there seems to be a dispensation from the usual rules, and you are allowed to make your penis extension look even more ridiculous! :rofl:

But its not wrong at all, it has been decided and legislated that Black and Silver plates are for Historic vehicles end of. Some people just cant move on and stop living in the past.

Back