Any Experience of Changing ECUs?

DavmartZ

New Forum User
Does anyone have any experience of changing ECUs? My old one on my Z31 seems to have suffered from a rain leak and will deliver neither fuel nor spark to the engine. ( It only cranks over). I have seen a number of alternative replacements from other Z31s of the same, or adjacent year, (mainly from the USA) - but none with exactly the same part number. The nearest has 9 of the 10 digits the same. Only the final digit is different. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions on whether this or ones similar are likely to work? (at least to start the engine and make the car mobile). Thoughts,opinios, experience - welcome

Geoff-R

Club Member
I can't really help you specifically with this but I did see an episode of Car SOS the other night where they were rebuidling a MK1 Toyota MR2 and the ECU had suffered from water ingress on that episode. They took it to a place called ATC Drivetrain UK (https://www.atcdrivetrain.co.uk/) and they repaired it. Might be worth a shot if it means you can keep the original ECU and you know it's plug and play with no issues. Just an idea.

Quick search on the website and they seem to be either familiar with the ECU or have them? I'd be giving them a call: