air flow meter adjustment

chris frizzell

Club Member
Hi all my 280z running a little rich . ordered a vacuum meter to check for leaks but if there ok is it possible to adjust the afm its self . anyone any pointers many thanks chris.

Hi Chris.

Before messing with the MAF, I would suggested checking the temperature sensors, and injectors first. A failing temp sensor can make the ECU richen the mixture.

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic17b17

But you do need to play with the mixture screw. The Haynes manual has the process. If you don’t have a copy I can scan the FSM pages for you on how to do it.

Basically check your timing and idle speed is correct first, then when it’s up to temp you need to disconnect the throttle sensor and bridge pin 24 and 30 with a jumper in the Sensor connector. This richen the mix, to allow adjustment. You will need a gas analyser to do this properly. A colour tune is too crude, but a useful double check.

Cheers

Huw

Thanks Huw . looked into the temp sender i run a test if thats possible but would think a new one is in order.yes i do have a haynes and FSM. thanks for the throttle sensor dint know about that . i was only going to look at the AFM as some guy on the web adjusted his by the screw on the side. the car runs ok but i think iam flooding it on the start up by giving it some gas . also not sure if someones had a play with it in the past ,also it came from Arizona and wondered if it run f richer do to air higher temp? may be as iam just not use to the car as its took me 2.5 years to restore and not 6 month driving it . i have got to think its not like a model car starting in 5 seconds every time . But by god i think its fantastic car and i will never sell it .Thanks again Chris

Try unplugging the cold start injector as it is tied into the thermo time switch.
I had an issue with running rich on one of mine and found this fixed the problem.
Basically the same as a stuck open choke.
It's a quick and easy test to do that may not tell you what your issue is but should tell what is isn't.

Back