280z diesel

37fleetwood

New Forum User
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have an idea I'd like to get some feedback on. I keep hearing about using a Maxima diesel crank to build a stroker engine. this made me think. I have a friend who has a Dodge diesel truck which turns 11s in the quarter mile and is street driven. this thing puts out around 750 horse power and over 800 ft lbs of torque. has anyone built one of these LD28s with the idea of making a turbo diesel "Z"?? who has one or has seen one? are they the same size as the L28? will the trans hook up? lots of questions. I'm in California and with smog laws there would be a big benifit to going diesel plus it would definitely be different.:conf2:
Scott:cool:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Interesting, if Audi can win LeMans with a diesel there must be potential. Of course we haven't all got Audi resources!

Mr.G

Club Member
I've read that the LD28 isn't such a great engine if you have performance in mind. I think stock it came with 90hp. People have stuck turbo manifolds on them and the most they have got is a respectable 130hp or there abouts.

There is a video on youtube of a guy with one, you will also find quite a few discussions about this on zcar.com and hybridz.org.

As for it hooking up, yeah no problem at all. The only slight issue is that the LD28 is slightly taller then the petrol L series engines, so you may have to lower your engine mounts slightly, don't quote me though, best you look that up and confirm.

Good luck in your research.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
There's a diesel powered 300Zx z31 over here, which often appears on ebay....It's powered by a London Black Cab Nissan diesel engine!
Bet it sounds lovely on start up in the mornings!:eek:...Not!

Another option on a 280z might be to install a BMW straight six diesel as they're some of the best diesels out there and can be "chipped" to high hp and torque outputs!

bongo

Well-Known Forum User
BMW 2.0 diesels, Hmm.. Good engine but watch the turbos and intercoolers if you go for a 2001 - 2004 engine. Expect them to fail very early if you crank up the HP anything above the stock 150... Google it and start worrying if you own a 320D / 520D

The 3.0D engine is a whole different story (but also much heavier)

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
:S30: im all for diesel power on a day to day car all my cars are but not my Z never my Z WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THAT TO A Z?????:confused:

martin.

37fleetwood

New Forum User
as to why, my "Z" is kinda developing troubles and smog time is coming up and in california alternate fuel cars are smog exempt for now and even when that changes the car smogs to the specs of the newer car. the diesel cars from the early '80s have no specs. my poor "Z" is getting around 12 mpg:eek: and will gass you out of the car it runs soo rich. I'm not sure if I want to fix it rather than try something different. I've been considering a 4.3 GM six, or even a 3.8 Buick Gran National turbo motor. who knows what the end result will be I am just looking into the interesting possibilities. also 40+ MPG sounds pretty tempting!!
Scott:cool: