280z clutch

richiep

Club Member
They're interchangeable, as long as you have the matching clutch collar.
This. My 71' Fairlady ZL currently has a 240mm 280Z clutch in it, along with the matching flywheel. It's all about having the right clutch collar for the particular combination in use.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm not sure a 240mm will fit on a 225mm flywheel. AND I seem to remember the pressure-plate hole spacing and number of bolts can be different even across the same size (240mm) clutch.

I went from 225 to 240 and was told I could used the same flywheel but there was a problem. I bought another flywheel and then had it lightened by 4lbs to compensate for the heavier, bigger clutch. Needed the longer collar too.

Robotsan

Club Member
So from the above, can I assume this will just go straight into my 280z? And if I wanted to fit a lighter flywheel at the same time, that's no problem? I just need the right collar?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
So from the above, can I assume this will just go straight into my 280z? And if I wanted to fit a lighter flywheel at the same time, that's no problem? I just need the right collar?
If you've got a 240mm friction surface flywheel, I *think* it will fit, but you might need to move the dowels and you'll need the shorter collar.

Robotsan

Club Member
If you've got a 240mm friction surface flywheel, I *think* it will fit, but you might need to move the dowels and you'll need the shorter collar.

I haven't a clue what I've got tbh 😂 But from talking to people, I like the sound of a lighter flywheel. Other than that, I'm clueless as to what I have & what I need, and will require enlightenment from those in the know!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
When I went from 225 to 240mm I got a different flywheel and collar. I had the new flywheel lightened by the extra amount that the bigger clutch weighed - about 5lbs I think. Both flywheels weighed the same as standard.

Robotsan

Club Member
I've just been reading up on clutches and flywheels and it seems like only the 2+2s came with 240mm?

But the width of the flywheels seems to have increased over the S30 production time?

Btw, will a 10 or 11lb flywheel be ok with a stock L28? It seems like it will be from what I've read.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've just been reading up on clutches and flywheels and it seems like only the 2+2s came with 240mm?

But the width of the flywheels seems to have increased over the S30 production time?

Btw, will a 10 or 11lb flywheel be ok with a stock L28? It seems like it will be from what I've read.
I think 10/11 lbs would be too much both for driveability and safety. I don't think an engineering shop would do that much anyway.

Robotsan

Club Member
I think 10/11 lbs would be too much both for driveability and safety. I don't think an engineering shop would do that much anyway.

Ahh I was thinking more of buying a lighter flywheel, along the lines of a Fidenza or something. Can't really find them for sale in many places in the UK though.

Might be cheaper to import from Japan.. if only I'd just been there 😂

Robotsan

Club Member
If you've got a 240mm friction surface flywheel, I *think* it will fit, but you might need to move the dowels and you'll need the shorter collar..

Hi Jon, just wondering why you said 240mm here? As the item for sale is 225mm? Or did you just mean if my 280z happens to have a 240mm it should still fit?

I'm thinking of going for this 10.5lbs / 4.8kg flywheel from Kameari: https://greenline.jp/catalogue/item...eel+(Large+Clutch+Type)&carcode=S30&fromlink=

Reckon that would be ok? It's much cheaper than anything I can find in the UK or US right now.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi Jon, just wondering why you said 240mm here? As the item for sale is 225mm? Or did you just mean if my 280z happens to have a 240mm it should still fit?

I'm thinking of going for this 10.5lbs / 4.8kg flywheel from Kameari: https://greenline.jp/catalogue/item.php?category=drivetrain&subcat=Flywheels&brand=KAMEARI&series=&name=L4+Chromoly+Lightweight+Flywheel+(Large+Clutch+Type)&carcode=S30&fromlink=

Reckon that would be ok? It's much cheaper than anything I can find in the UK or US right now.
Yes, thats what I meant. I thought all 280zs had 240mm flywheels, but looks like I was wrong.
If it turns out you've got a 240 one, I've got a selection of collars I got from @Rob Gaskin so might have one to fit in there.

Robotsan

Club Member
Yes, thats what I meant. I thought all 280zs had 240mm flywheels, but looks like I was wrong.
If it turns out you've got a 240 one, I've got a selection of collars I got from @Rob Gaskin so might have one to fit in there.

Brilliant cheers Jon. Yeah looks like it was just 2+2s that had 240mm ones.

Ok cool, I'll grab this one then and one of those kameari flywheels then. May as well get a few bits at once though if I'm ordering from Japan.. <rubs hands together>

yellowz

Club Member
I thought as long as you had a 240mm flywheel it did not matter as the clutch had to match the flywheel size?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Something else I seem to have in my memory is that not all 240mm clutch covers have the same amount of bolts?

Can anyone elaborate?

Robotsan

Club Member
Would you guys recommend sticking with a stock clutch for a mildly fast road car, or should I go for a slight upgrade? Just thinking as in the next couple of years I plan on fitted the S13 box, 3.9 diff, a custom exhaust & manifold, triple webers and then getting it ported and polished.. would it make more sense to fit a stronger clutch at that point too, or will the stock clutch be fine for approx 200 bhp? I wouldn't want to make the pedal too firm which puts me off the performance clutches, if indeed they are usually firmer.