240Z on BaT in the US

uk66fastback

Club Member
This site always has one or two every few weeks so it seems ...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-datsun-240z-12/

I love this site for interesting classics, all kinds, all prices.

I think this one might make the regulation $15-16k they all seem to be doing over there for a decent driver with no real 'rust' ...

Always fun to tune in for the last 15mins of these auctions as the beer and popcorn flows and the price increases ...

Looks good. For those wondering what this will equate to in pounds with transport, shipping, duty, and uk port fees. With the current rates it's just over 1 to 1. So if it sell for $15k that will cost you a bit over £15k. This is taking all costs into account but the rate has now got worse than when I paid for the last car and is still heading in the wrong direction.

This is going to be a major issue for the near-medium term - the weak pound is going to make cheap imports a thing of the past.

The Yen has also strengthened as a safe haven - meaning all those nice parts from places like RHDJapan are going up in jumps daily. I'm kicking myself for not having bought a couple of items a few weeks ago (e.g. stroker pistons that have gone up 80 quid since the vote and rising. CORRECTION - £130 as of this morning. ******.).

Time to either buy right now or hunker down and see where things go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that a few times Rich. ;)

Ha! Fair point. I'm my own worst enemy where decisions over spending money are concerned. #tightgit

:D

I don't doubt that the pound will regain some strength, but it won't be a quick rebound. There's trouble ahead for everyone anyway, so a certain amount of levelling down is going to occur. E.g. the fact everyone is piling into the Yen as a safe haven is now having tangibly painful effects on the Japanese economy (major exporter profit forecasts falling). The Bank of Japan will probably engage in moves to try and devalue at some point in the coming months. So that nice Kameari stuff might stabilize rather than continue to get more painfully expensive!

I saw this last night and thought it looked a good one, if I was in the market I'd be popping a bid on :thumbs:

My recent purchase went up by the best part of £1k because I didn't pay for it until the next day. That's life and no point in looking back, always look forward and on the plus side, my "collection" have become more attractive to the European buyers.

As I stated in another thread, the US economy is headed down later this year and in 2017 due to the election, high unemployment, and ballooning debt.

I can see it already in the car market with Craigs List ads being placed over and over, lots of sellers and few buyers. 0% interest rates for 5 years on new cars advertised all the time on the TV.

The Zed market is still hot in the states, but as people get hurt by the economy late this year, more cars will come up for sale with fewer buyers in the states. The dollar with remain strong I think but deals will come about next year.

I will keep you posted on the local Zed market in Cali.

. The dollar with remain strong I think but deals will come about next year.

I will keep you posted on the local Zed market in Cali.

This is what I will hope for, along with some recovery in the pound value. I think the days of £1 to $1.45-50 are over for the foreseeable; I'd take $1.35 right now (which some observers think is the likely recovery point). Plus some stalling in Z values stateside and some economy-driven sales.

Given I decided a few weeks ago to punt another project Z off till next year at the earliest anyway, there's time to either hope for an FX recovery or save more money! :unsure:

Part of me regrets not pulling the trigger on that silver Z though Mike! :eek:

The dollar rate is only going to get worse and certainly wont recover for much of the year. If the price of zeds drops in the US its got to go a long way to make up for the fall in the rate. Only time will tell. If I see what I think is a good deal at that moment in time then I'll go for it and never look back. The shifts in zed values are never going to be life changing but the experience of owning and driving one now is IMO. I have a smile on my face and feel great every time I get in any of mine.

Yes, 17K was a fair market price for that car especially on BAT where prices are usually fairly strong.

The key to Zed sales is finding the right car at the right price, a good place to park your money and have fun at the same time.

There will always be good buys out there if your patient and willing to move fast when it hits.

Funny thing about the silver Zed, still at my shop and the parts are still arriving weekly. New owner wants new interior installed and other parts in the boot.

I don't see it being shipped out until August or later.

I've never been interested in the "nice cars. What appeals to me are the honest, bit tatty ones. The ones you can recommission and get away with not painting. Like the green car I bought off you Mike and even more so the yellow one I've just bought. The problem I have with the really nice one's is they are too nice to be able to drive every day and I do like driving them.

Similar to my take. The "nice" ones have no appeal to me - I can't afford them up front at this point and whatever I buy will be completely rebuilt by me over a couple of years or so to exactly my specification. Thus, as long as it is straight and minimally rusty, it'll do. Running and driving is a bonus but unnecessary, given the end game. Anything beyond that is superfluous.

Hence why I nearly went for the silver one (ultimately deciding that I needed to clear the decks of other projects on my FairladyZ first, clear the garage space and also keep the financial powder dry until next year just in case due to continuing work ructions).

Back