1977 260Z Coupe Headlamps (RHD)

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
I want to track down a pair of NOS headlamps for my late (RHD) 1977-built 260Z coupe, but don't want to upgrade from factory specification (I know they will be very dim, but I accept that).

I have looked in the Haynes manual, R-Drive factory fiche, Lucas "Fast Moving Parts for Japanese Cars" catalogue, owner's manual, Google, Bing and just about every internet search engine I can find, but with no luck, to date (perhaps I should have asked here first). Also, I tried to take out the headlamp bowl from the back, under the wing, in an attempt to look at the headlamp unit itself, but that turned to dust when I turned the first bolt, so that's probably best left in place for now (another part to add to the "wish list" though).

I understand the OEM headlamp supplier for UK cars was Lucas (that was in some technical information on the rear of one of my brochures), but can anyone tell me what the correct Lucas part number is please?

Thanks.

If i still have my old ones you can have em,if not i dont think they are a lot of money new,ill have a look this morning

Another option would be to speak to Mike Feeney at MJP. He's a club member and also one of the registered traders on the site.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks Gents, much appreciated.
I should have said in my original post that I have already asked Mike. He can get me upgraded Ring Halogen replacements, but unfortunately, not the Lucas originals.
Regards.

Don't think they were lucas (at least mine weren't). Think they were Kyoto or similar unless they changed them for the 260.

You can always keep the original units but fit the higher-luminence bulbs. I did that on my 260 and it made a huge difference to the headlamp power. I would say at least 30-50 per cent brighter.

You can always keep the original units but fit the higher-luminence bulbs. I did that on my 260 and it made a huge difference to the headlamp power. I would say at least 30-50 per cent brighter.

The originals aren't 'sealed beams' then?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Attached is a part scan of the rear page of the 1977 or 1978 260Z coupe and 2+2 sales brochure. It is clear from the specification (if it can be relied on) that Lucas sealed-beam 150/100 watt (total) headlamps were installed. However, the Haynes manual describes the process of changing both sealed beam and bulb-type headlamps! The units on my car, at present, do have a small pilot light at the bottom of each headlamp unit and that looks as if it could be renewed without changing the whole assembly.

Riddler, if the bulbs themselves can be changed for higher luminance, that might be a good idea, but I would still like to find out what the original, OE, specification was if someone knows. Presumably the higher luminance bulbs don't consume additional power, as I think they are not switched through a relay.

Attachments

• Brochure Scan (Rear).jpg
    Brochure Scan (Rear).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
The 'Autobooks' manual says sealed beams.

Wattage - I assume they would be the usual for the period 55/60 per unit. Well that was the case with bulbs anyway.

Watts == Volts x Amps. If the wattage is greater the current is greater.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,
Thanks for that information. The 260Z owners manual which came with my car suggests "semi-sealed beams" were installed. Attached is a copy of the relevant text.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Headlamps.jpg
    Headlamps.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 185
Thanks Andrew,

Sounds like the headlamps in your car are in a similar state to mine. I would dread driving over a pothole, I think they would fall out!

Hopefully, someone will be able to provide the Lucas part number in due course, but some interesting information thus far, so thanks all.

Headlamp Wiring

I am still trying to persevere with the headlamp bowls and wiring loom to these. I decided to have a look at the wiring inside the headlamps bowls, which meant I had to get under the wing to undo the four screws. The first one took about half an hour to loosen, so I thought I was in for a long task, but as soon as that was out the bowl just fell out (well most of it, the rest was left attached to the three remaining screws).

The headlamp retaining screws were also rusted to the front of the bowl (they seemed to be stainless steel, so not sure how they had corroded), but I eventually got them out and once the ring came loose the front of the headlamp glass came with it (so not sealed beams). I have attached a photograph of the bowl. The wiring does not look right to me, as it doesn't seem to make sense to crimp two short lengths of cable to the pilot light inside the bowl.

Could someone upload a photograph of what the wiring should look like inside the headlamp bowls, please? Also, if someone could post up a photograph of an original Lucas headlamp that would really help (front and back of the headlamp if possible), as I cannot find any references to them anywhere other than they are each 75W/50W Lucas units.

Perhaps I should take up another hobby as every time I even go near the car I find another thing to add to the "to do" list (more stress than work)!

Attachments

• Headlamp Wiring.jpg
    Headlamp Wiring.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 36
Mine werent as bad as that and were serviceable after cleaning up and painting.
I would go for a more modern sealed halogen setup or H4.
Does anyone know if plastic replacement bowls are availiable as a direct replacement?

I must admit changing a bulb in the headlights is a complete pain!!:(

Thanks Andrew,

The headlamp bowls on my car are definitely not restorable, as the fixing lips have corroded away (I think underseal is now holding one on). I don't want to move away from stock headlamps (I know they're not great, but I am not concerned). It is just a case of tracking down what the OEM headlamp part number was, and that has been the problem. I also need to find a picture of the OEM bulb holder and wiring for the pilot light (Lucas type 504 bulb). So far all I have found out about the headlamps is that they are Lucas sealed beams (and that conflicts with something else I have read which says theye were Lucas semi-sealed beams)!

Not sure what the difference is either, but presumably a blown bulb can be changed on the semi-sealed unit, unlike a sealed beam where the whole assembly has to be renewed in that event.

I found some NOS sealed beam Lucas headlamps that I bought some time ago, but still not sure if one or the other, or either, is correct. One set has an extended pilot light aperture, the other a patch for the pilot light. I think it is correct that "LH Traffic" marked on the lens, oddly enough, is for right hand drive cars.

I did manage to track down a Lucas catalogue, which advised the headlamps are Lucas SB7002, but that does not seem to be right, as these do not have a pilot light facility.

Attachments

• Lucas With Pilot Extension.jpg
    Lucas With Pilot Extension.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Lucas With Pilot Patch.jpg
    Lucas With Pilot Patch.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Headlamp LH Traffic.jpg
    Headlamp LH Traffic.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 19
UK Headlight Bowls

Could someone please tell me if the late UK model (1977) 260Z headlight bowls have two cables (i.e. main headlight and pilot light wiring) coming out of the back through one (second image), or two holes (first image) - (rust holes excluded).
Thanks.

Attachments

• image12.JPG
    image12.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7715 (headllight bowl).jpg
    IMG_7715 (headllight bowl).jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 23
I replaced my bulbs and wiring a coup[le of weeks ago and there was only a single largeish hole for both sets of cables to come out of, car is late 1977 2+2.
That bowl in the first pic looks nice and shiny though!! Is it a reproduction etc.:thumbs:

Back